Honored Contributor

Here's the latest about the plumber situation Woman Very Happy

First plumber on list:  I reached out via online form to this plumber yesterday and summarized work in a couple of sentences.  Received an email from them stating to call tomorrow (that would be today) after 8:30 am.  I reached out by phone at 8:35 am, gave my name and number and quick summary of what I need done/inspected.

An hour later Kim returned my call.  This plumber has links that show the master plumber licenses and insurance licenses etc.  Their website describes every kind of water and gas pipe installation that can be performed in modern society.

Kim puts me on hold and then comes back and says that they would need to send a plumber to evaluate the work since they don't do things like that very often.  Mind you this is what I asked - disconnect gas cooktop and check out black pipe leading to gas main for damage. 

When I asked how much it was going to cost me Kim advised $95 for the first half hour and $144 per hour after that.  She was quick to let me know the $95 would be deducted from the overall bill.

I thanked Kim for returning my call and advised that it would not be necessary to send a plumber to my home.  She seemed surprised by that and said Oh?

I said, your website promotes that your master plumbers have the skill set to lay in and replace pipe for every conceivable gas and water related situation in creation and you're telling me that a master plumber will need to stare at my cooktop connection for what I am sure will be more than 30 minutes to decide if they have the skill set to disconnect the gas line?  Woman Tongue

The next plumber I called returned my call rather quickly.  I learned from the first and said sir, are you on a phone that can accept texts?  He said yes.  I said I have a before and after photos that I need you to look at, may I send them to you?  He said yes.  I sent the photos and then asked, do you have the skill set to disconnect this gas range, install an appliance gas shutoff in the line and inspect/possibly replace the black pipe that goes through the kitchen floor?

He says, yes I do that.  He and I talked a bit and he will be coming on Thursday between 1 and 3.  He's the one with the master plumber license and he prices by job and said under $200.  I asked if that included the pipes/shutoff and he said whole 9 yards.

I had an epiphany this morning that I wished I would have had yesterday morning.  I should have put a wood shim on either side of the pipe along the floor of the cabinet which would have kept the darn pipe from moving.  Oh well, live and learn.  I'm paying $200 to get a darn cooktop disconnected and another pipe straightened out.  I'm still gonna have to install the new one myself.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: August 2020 Back Fence

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama   I admire your ability to tackle a job like this, no way I could do it.  DH's Dad taught him and his sister how to make home repairs, plumbing, etc., and DH can do anything, could have built a house when he was younger, but had to earn a living, lol.  I told DD to be sure anyone she marries, if she does, is a Mr. Fix It, will save tons of money.  Her current boyfriend is a plumber by trade, but left it, didn't like it, and now is into something else.

This not plumbing related, though in the last five years I have had three jobs done by a plumber and the magic number seems to be $2,000, though recently, $200 was deducted for senior citizen status, lol, the jobs were large, replacing the original cast iron pipes, rusting, with PVC.  There are two bathrooms left that must still have the iron pipes, so when they are remodeled, those will be replaced.  This seems to be the year of replacements, but everything has lasted so long, can't complain except about the cost..

I have areas in my cyclone fence that need replacement, removal, and/or repair.  One particular guy came out, very nice, said he was busy, but in a few weeks or so, he could do it.  He came back once again, forget why, and never heard from him again.  I was left wondering why he bothered to come back if he wasn't going to do the job.  I decided to leave it, and if we ever move, will deal with it then, lol.

Honored Contributor

hey all

not much here tonight, just a pop in. Doing last load of laundry.

still opened up, may close up tonight.

ok guys tomorrow

Honored Contributor

I shored up the Back Fence for September

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/September-2020-Back-Fence/m-p/6467773#M429205

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise