Respected Contributor

Re: Arts and Crafts show and tell thread

@TamiT28  Your quilts are so pretty! Its amazing how you came up with those geometric patterns and color schemes yourself and made everything so perfect! I like all of the patterned pieces of fabric withing the patterns of the shapes and the contrast of solid to patterned pieces- so pretty!  They must take months to make because they're a nice size too.  In addition to quilts, I bet you could sew quitled table runners and decorative throw pillows too.  Wonderful work Smiley Happy

@ECBG Thats such a good idea to go to craft stores to get wood to paint on.  I love antique furniture and antique home goods.  Now that I know what tole painting is, I'm going to keep a look out for it on interior deisgn tv shows and interior deisgn youtube channels. The the photo of the birds painted on the dresser is nice- that would make a great vanity.  Smiley Happy

@RSSeal Thank you! Its so great to see everyone's art on here- so much talent!  Your one stroke paintings are so lovely! I really like how you captured the delicate nature of flower petals- so pretty and a very unique and eye catching way to decorate tall wax candles! That little elephant is really fun and fun, the colors that you chose to paint on it look so cheerful. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SportyShorty07 

Tole painted pieces go well with "shabby chic".  These shelves could be in a bedroom, hallway, or bathroom.

You can find old pieces at yard sales and flea markets.

Special Order Decorative Shabby Chic Large Roses Shelf - Customs Colors | Shabby  chic room, Shabby chic interiors, Shabby chic bedrooms

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  Oooh that's a pretty floral painting!  The flowers really pop against the white painted shelves.  I want to get a wooden jewelry box or a terracotta pot and try my hand at tole painting one of these days.  Is there a way to coat the finished painting with some type of setting gloss or finisher to prolong its life if items are put against it regularly if the artwork is painted on a shelf or dresser? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SportyShorty07 

As with all things, there are some skills you need to develop in brush strokes and blending,as well as how to develop a surface to paint on.

You might want to call your local craft shop to see if they'll be offering classes which are usually a period of time before a holiday or season we decorate for.

This project shows some of the main strokes.

Coffee pot - American Folk Art Museum, NYC - IMG 5839.JPG

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG  Tole painting seems like a skill that I would like to try to master someday- no matter how long it takes Smiley Happy.  Such a beaautiful artform: that teapot is really nice with the florals made up of different strokes.  I googled tole painting classes and there aren't any in my city, but there are some virtual Zoom call tole painting classes and pre-recorded video class purchase options too- I'm definitely going to look into these.  I want to tole paint a beautiful floral design on a shower curtain with waterproof fabric paint or maybe tole paint a table runner or a cutting board.  The opportunities are endless!  Another skill that I want to learn is sponge painting different designs on cardstock and then drawing or stamping over them.  Smiley Happy