Honored Contributor

Anyone remember Walter Cronkite

On this day in 1979 American Embassy was stormed. If you like history watch Argo w/Ben Affleck.

What I remember was watching Cronkite on the evening news and hearing him saying how many days the hostage situation still was. (Awkward sentence,sorry).

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone remember Walter Cronkite

@Group 5 minus 1  Walter Cronkite was one of the best newscasters ....always was comforting listening to him tell the bad news....

Honored Contributor

"and thats the way it was."

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I'll never forget his telling us President Kennedy was dead.  So far, no one compares to his news coverage.  Miss him.

Respected Contributor

I remember and really miss when there were actual news reporters and not noisy commentators. I watched the evening news each night during the Vietnam War, thinking I might see one of "our" local guys on their newsreels. I can't watch news any longer, they seem to have gone the route of TV talk shows, trying to make as much noise as possible without saying anything other than their own personal views.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I remember and really miss when there were actual news reporters and not noisy commentators. I watched the evening news each night during the Vietnam War, thinking I might see one of "our" local guys on their newsreels. I can't watch news any longer, they seem to have gone the route of TV talk shows, trying to make as much noise as possible without saying anything other than their own personal views.

I agree that local news is pretty much useless after the first 3 minutes. 3 minutes is generous.

A couple of national networks do nothing but lie and twist facts to fit their ideology. It's easy to figure out which ones do this. Sadly about 30% of country isn't that bright.

I prefer certain national news networks. Some of it might lean a little bit in a certain direction but the guts are factual and they can back up what they say.

I don't rely on  political ads for information. What can they really say in 10 or 20 seconds. It's easy to find non-partisan sites to check facts.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't watch the news either...either I don't trust it, fits their own agenda, more editorial than trying to state facts....Sometimes I think it's me..but then I hear my family and then my friends...and I feel better.  I do miss him.

Honored Contributor

Yes, i sure do he was the best .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes, how could we forget him.

Honored Contributor

He was on for news all the time in our house. I remember they called him the most trusted man in America!