Honored Contributor

They were discussing it on my news station this morning.Do you think it is a safe site to download.

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone heard of tictoc

[ Edited ]

TikTok? It's an app people use to make short videos, usually lip sync videos or short sketch comedy things. The app is safe.

It's mostly used by kids and young adults. There's an unusual number of people from the vampire, werewolf, and furry subcultures there. There are a lot of kids doing goofy challenge videos, so if you're considering it for kid, monitor it and have a lot of "online safety" discussions.

Honored Contributor

The media was saying that there was a lot of content for adults now too.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex @Alison Wonderland  Thanks for asking and answering this. I was wondering what this was also. I just can't keep up with all this stuff! 

Honored Contributor

I think it was mentioned today on The Talk

Honored Contributor

It’s legit. My kids love it. 

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

They were discussing it on my news station this morning.Do you think it is a safe site to download.

@dex  My teenage child uses it.  It's a site that you make short music videos (around 15 seconds), and other people can like your video and comment on it (like other social media).  It is definitely not for me, since I am not interested in filming myself lipsyncing.  

Honored Contributor

@momoftwo2007 Apparently there are things that adults are interested in too...such as cupning

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

My daughter has been asking for this for a long time, she's 14.  I'm very leary of things like this.  What he/she puts out there has circumstances and follows you.  I did hear on my local news channel that tictoc is one website of many that predators follow.  My daughter says she's not interested in posting videos of herself but rather watch her friends because so many of her friends are on it.  I may give in (a little) with ground rules and monitoring what she does.

Respected Contributor

My niece is on it. She and her friends posts videos of them dancing or singing, being silly. Her activity is monitored by her mom.