Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody hate it when their routine is broken

I wish I could remember if I was always like this but, at this point, I definitely need structure.   I use to entertain, had a big social life, travelled, etc.   Travelling was my favorite, especially the dive trips.  The dive trips were the best thing ever for me.

Now, I'm stationary at home 99% of the time.   But what I find now is that routine and structure are VERY important to me because, outside of that, I end up in a state of confusion.  Even if I interrupt myself in the middle of doing something I will end up standing there confused.

So, I have systems for everything important and I do feel most comfortable with structure and routine for some things.

For me, maybe some of that comes from a childhood of never feeling safe and having no control.  If I can control some aspects of my life I feel more safe but a lot of that now that I have some cognitive problems is just pure necessity.  

One thing that became a drag is that, after we replaced our washer and dryer a couple years ago, I found that if, in hot weather, I used the dryer later in the day (after it heated up) it would stop and flip the switch outside at the side of my house.  Never got that figured out, so now I just have to do laundry early in the morning on hot days.

The reason I mention that is because my routine was doing laundry in the afternoon and now that I have to do it very early in the day I tend to forget so it gets moved to the next day and the next day, etc.   I'm working toward getting that routine changed in my head, but it's not going that great.   Today I did the laundry that I was supposed to do LAST Monday.  Good thing it's just my stuff, so nobody else was inconvenienced.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mayflowers wrote:

I am a homebody and love doing my daily routine rituals. I recently had to attend events out of town and am SO thankful to be back at home to my normal routine.  Some don't understand.  Do you like being or the go or staying put?

@Mayflowers  I could have written your post. I too am a "homebody" never travel or sleep anywhere other than my bed. I spend 99% of my time AT HOME. I go to the store for food once a week or maybe once every two weeks...most everything else is ordered on line.  I hate my routine to be changed....I-go to bed about 6pm each night.....up early.

Guess I am boring.  

NO.  You sound just like me!  Only I go to bed around 7:00 and get up around 4:40am.  You are NOT boring.  Just smart.

Respected Contributor

@Mayflowers wrote:

Mom2Dogs, I always worry that people get bored when they visit me too.  I love to cook and talk but it seems like people need more. Maybe ask them if there is anything in your area or some place nearby that they would like to see.

I love to sit and talk with some goodies and coffee.  that's good enough for me!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I do not like routines and have never lived my life by any routines, unless I had to for school or work. I supposed I am a homebody, but I do like to travel.

My father always called me his gypsy child.  I like to live each day different than the day before.

Honored Contributor

@77yangya Like you, I could sit and visit with coffee and something to eat.  I like to talk, my husband rarely adds anything to the conversation, sigh.

I live in a small area, there is not much to do, so I am very concerned about entertaining someone (kids) for several days.  My other niece lives about 30 miles away, so I am going to let her know she is on the entertainment committee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My OCD prevents me from being spontaneous, much to my chargrin. It's as if I'm in my own prison.

But I have a family and do force myself to be a part of them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am definitely a stay put person!   I make myself go when I have to, but always prefer to stay home.   I honestly believe I could stay home forever, and be quite content.   

I have started my usual fall stocking of pantry, freezer, and basic supplies, which usually keeps me out of the store for nearly 3 months of winter.   Our WV winter is predicted to be super cold, so I hope to enjoy many lazy pajama days in my nice warm house.  

Respected Contributor

As crazy as the world has become,  I think our homes have become our sanctuaries. At least that's the case for me. 

Respected Contributor

Being retired, I don't really have many set routines. I just have more -- must do's -- than I enjoy these days. So, when I'm finished with those do's, I relish my quiet time to do as I please. And I do hate interruptions. 

Going to social events wears me out. I can't wait to get home.

I don't want invitations, or people showing up at my door, or texting constantly. I'm content to be alone, staying put. It sure cuts back on unnecessary drama. 

Honored Contributor

I am a set pattern person.

I do my chores when i have to,

I do my walk at a certain time

I do wash at certain times

even take my shower at a certain time.

I hate it when something alters the pattern, it throws me into a tissy.