Frequent Contributor

Anybody hate it when their routine is broken

I am a homebody and love doing my daily routine rituals. I recently had to attend events out of town and am SO thankful to be back at home to my normal routine.  Some don't understand.  Do you like being or the go or staying put?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody hate it when their routine is broken

@Mayflowers   I have rituals also, but I also when  know when it is time to be like water/bamboo.

Honored Contributor

My dogs all loved routine and got discombobulated when it went off the norm.  Me? Not so much.

Respected Contributor

English poet WIlliam Cowper wrote in 1785:  

'Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavour.'

Routines are what we choose to create--breaking a routine is often our decision.  

Of course, I live with many pets, and family members, and I never know what they will be up to!  Their actions will always affect my routines.

As another English poet John Donne said in  1624 ,

"No Man is an Island!"

Honored Contributor

I am totally without circadian rhythm.    I live on military (24-hour) time, and have no routine.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I definitely enjoy staying put.  I have daily routines, many focused around my pets, and my plants (I'm a gardener).  I dread being away from it for any time at all because I don't want to lose anything because of neglect, whether intentional or not.

Sometimes I change up my order just because I get a little bored, or things start feeling stale.  It freshens my mind to see life a little differently, even if that just means changing where I take my daily walk, or preparing a new and different food, or changing my hairstyle.  Heck, a different dishtowel hanging on the range, even.

That said, "There's no place like home".

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I'll stay home, thank you.

Respected Contributor

Oh, I'm am so glad someone else is like this.  INDEED YES.  I am VERY much like this.

Honored Contributor

I think having some routine is comforting but if a person is so rigid and can't break a routine, that's not good!  My DH is very regimented and gets very put off if he can't do everything in his daily routine the way he wants and at a certain time!  Since I retired, I didn't want a routine really, as I'm sick of routines and schedules.  However, I am very adaptable and am good at compromise, so I go with the flow!  I'd rather just live life and have things flow organically!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I like my routine as well.  

I have a niece and her family visiting in another month.  While I am excited to see her, it has been several years...I have no idea how to  entertain a family of 3 teenagers....I don't have kids and I don't like cooking for people.  People have likes/dislikes and it's hard to please everyone.

My husband is not much help, he is pretty quiet and not much of a talker....it will be a long two days.