Valued Contributor

@Puppy Lips   Thanks for taking the time to respond.  You raise a good point, also addressed in another post, once upon a time it was the thrill receiving of all the packages and I could tell you what was in each package, but now with the few packages that I do receive sometimes their arrival annoys me and often times I can't even remember what I'm expecting, not sure if that's an issue with me or the recent delays in shipping by QVC (but that's a thread for another day and I see there are many).   

Anyway, I've received a lot of thoughtful guidance from many of the posts received so far, so I'm confident that I can beat this.  As I compose this I realize that watching QVC for me now is like watching reality TV.  I've learned so much about many of the hosts that now I kind of tune in for updates.

@Puppy Lips  Not sure what it is about your post, but it has brought me to tears and the realization that maybe, in fact, there really is more going on here that needs to be addressed.  I keep telling myself that it has nothing to do with a life event (cancer diagnosis) that took place 6 years ago but maybe in some weird way it does and I don't or won't accept it.  I'll need to take a closer look, I thought that I had dealt with that, but maybe not. 

Thank you again to @Puppy Lips and all who have responded and will respond.

Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  One would think that seeing the bank account increase would be incentive enough, especialy since I really wish I could throw in the towel now, but can't because of finances.  Geez, what is wrong with me?  Thank you @Mom2Dogs

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Puppy Lips   Thanks for taking the time to respond.  You raise a good point, also addressed in another post, once upon a time it was the thrill receiving of all the packages and I could tell you what was in each package, but now with the few packages that I do receive sometimes their arrival annoys me and often times I can't even remember what I'm expecting, not sure if that's an issue with me or the recent delays in shipping by QVC (but that's a thread for another day and I see there are many).   

Anyway, I've received a lot of thoughtful guidance from many of the posts received so far, so I'm confident that I can beat this.  As I compose this I realize that watching QVC for me now is like watching reality TV.  I've learned so much about many of the hosts that now I kind of tune in for updates.

@Puppy Lips  Not sure what it is about your post, but it has brought me to tears and the realization that maybe, in fact, there really is more going on here that needs to be addressed.  I keep telling myself that it has nothing to do with a life event (cancer diagnosis) that took place 6 years ago but maybe in some weird way it does and I don't or won't accept it.  I'll need to take a closer look, I thought that I had dealt with that, but maybe not. 

@Snowhite714 

That right there is why you need to actually talk to someone, to get unresolved feelings resolved.

Doing other things will help, but most likely will just be a temporary fix, until another crisis happens. It's like an alcoholic going "dry" with no guidance or support.

I wish you the best, but it couldn't hurt to seek professional help for your compulsion.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Snowhite714 

That right there is why you need to actually talk to someone, to get unresolved feelings resolved.

Doing other things will help, but most likely will just be a temporary fix, until another crisis happens. It's like an alcoholic going "dry" with no guidance or support.

I wish you the best, but it couldn't hurt to seek professional help for your compulsion.

What you are describing, @Snowhite714 , is obsessive/compulsive disorder. Some are expecially prone to it, but triggers can be depression, anxiety, and a feeling of isolation.

Others here have described it aptly and made excellent suggestions.

I would like to add one that I don't think has been covered. I don't recognize your nic and don't know anything about your posting history. But if you do frequent these boards often, you might consider that it could be enabling you even more. You are already susceptible, and it's easy to justify your purchases when in this this tempting environment.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't enjoy this place but maybe focus on forums that don't have posters raving about their purchases or in any way leading you to your "high."

I wish you well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Snowhite714 

What you are describing, @Snowhite714 , is obsessive/compulsive disorder. Some are expecially prone to it, but triggers can be depression, anxiety, and a feeling of isolation.

Others here have described it aptly and made excellent suggestions.

I would like to add one that I don't think has been covered. I don't recognize your nic and don't know anything about your posting history. But if you do frequent these boards often, you might consider that it could be enabling you even more. You are already susceptible, and it's easy to justify your purchases when in this this tempting environment.

I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't enjoy this place but maybe focus on forums that don't have posters raving about their purchases or in any way leading you to your "high."

I wish you well.

@Snowhite714  @Anonymous032819 , I meant for my post to stand alone. Sorry about that; apparently, I'm new here. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Snowhite714- I used to shop a whole lot at QVC and  HSN and I mean a whole lot.  It got ridiculous.  I would purchase mainly clothes.  UPS was coming to the house on a regular basis.  It was the excitement of being to shop in the comfort of my living room.  One day, I don't know what happened, I lost interest in sitting down and watching basically what is an informercial and I realized I lived in a large metropolitan area and easily purchase most items for cheaper and no shipping fees.   Now, I might buy something once or twice a year.  It has to be something I really really need.

But, that's me and my experience.  Your experience is different and there are people to assist you.  Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

What is buying/shopping giving you?  It is fulfilling a need....it is giving you pleasure or you would not do it. Few people are addicted to something that gives them pain or unhappiness.

next time you feel the urge to buy something....STOP FOR A  MOMENT before ordering...ask  yourself why you need it. How do you feel....sad? Lonely? Bord? 

Keep a journal of these feelings write them down ...even if you still go ahead and order.  You will find  through what you write down a common thread....it could help you understand what is going on behind the urge to buy more and more.

Honored Contributor

I buy too much of everything from the Q, it's called too much disposable incomeitis.LOL 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

What is buying/shopping giving you?  It is fulfilling a need....it is giving you pleasure or you would not do it. Few people are addicted to something that gives them pain or unhappiness.

next time you feel the urge to buy something....STOP FOR A  MOMENT before ordering...ask  yourself why you need it. How do you feel....sad? Lonely? Bord? 

Keep a journal of these feelings write them down ...even if you still go ahead and order.  You will find  through what you write down a common thread....it could help you understand what is going on behind the urge to buy more and more.

Thank you @SeaMaiden.

Valued Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I buy too much of everything from the Q, it's called too much disposable incomeitis.LOL 

@blackhole99  You laugh but I have often thought this to be the problem, but why not just save, why do I have to spend it all

And so the journey continues...

Thank you.