Honored Contributor

Did you know this about rice

Cooked rice starts going bad after two hours if not refrigerated .You need to store in smaller containers so it cools quickly too.I remember my son said kids in college had rice cookers and cooked it for dinner and ate again at breakfast without any refrigeration.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Did you know this about rice

What do they say about youth being wasted on the young? Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Someone was in the news a few months ago, they died from eating leftover rice.  I think it was a student, and the rice had been at room temperature. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chinese  restaurants are a big no,no..They have huge vats of precooked rice.Good reminder.

Honored Contributor

I saw that too and I did laugh.  It's a wonder we all  lived to be the ages we are.  I'm going to do what I always do because I don't know of anyone who died from rice that sat on the dinner table for 2.5 hours...LOL   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree @But did they think they had a stomach bug ever.Sometimes I wonder if it was actually something we ate.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This makes me never, ever want to eat at one of those Asian-style buffet restaurants. I know they have vats of rice that sit out all day under not-very-hot heat lamps, along with the chemical-laden food. Ewww

Honored Contributor

I use diced cauliflower now anyway...
Honored Contributor

Another concern is high arsenic levels in rice.....always rinse the rise very well prior to cooking which might remove some of the arsenic.........and do not eat it often either. 

Honored Contributor

Who eats more rice than Asians and Mexicans and you don't hear of them dropping dead from rice  or arsenic poisoning.