Respected Contributor

Re: Any Human Resources experts here?

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

(As for being told "a lie" - who would want a lie spread about, just to satisfy some misplaced curiosity?)

==============================

Politicians LIE all the time.  The most common lie is, the desire to spend "more time with family." 

It's not (the truth); i.e., "I cheated on my wife", "I emebezzled from state funds", "I took kickbacks from the business entities" ...

A simple "be with my family" will usually suffice.  (Even IF at this point, the wife and children have been publicly humiliated.)

People will usually except a "reason" and forget about it.

It's just a common courtesy.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Not true.  Professionalism among the older workers still exists.  If a manager says John is gone and Mary is taking over, now let's move on to the next item on the agenda, most people know we can gossip/speculate among ourselves but the rest is a personnel matter or management decision not for our ears.  Workers aren't stupid and deserve respect with basic communication about changes that directly affect them.  

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

(As for being told "a lie" - who would want a lie spread about, just to satisfy some misplaced curiosity?)

==============================

Politicians LIE all the time.  The most common lie is, the desire to spend "more time with family." 

It's not (the truth); i.e., "I cheated on my wife", "I emebezzled from state funds", "I took kickbacks from the business entities" ...

A simple "be with my family" will usually suffice.  (Even IF at this point, the wife and children have been publicly humiliated.)

People will usually except a "reason" and forget about it.

It's just a common courtesy.

If an outgoing employee wants to share, fine. Apparently, this employee did not want to do so. End of case.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain Not true.  Professionalism among the older workers still exists.  If a manager says John is gone and Mary is taking over, now let's move on to the next item on the agenda, most people know we can gossip/speculate among ourselves but the rest is a personnel matter or management decision not for our ears.  Workers aren't stupid and deserve respect with basic communication about changes that directly affect them.  

You mean nobody knows who the new manager is? How do you get things approved?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why you think you need to be given a reason for her departure, even if it's a "lie". It's not the business of anyone except the company and the employee. She's gone - something happened and it's no one's business. If rumors abound, so be it - don't be part of it. Most companies know better than to share information about their employees leaving because they know there could be legal ramifications. Just accept that the person is gone and move on.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe how judgemental some of these posts are. It is human nature to be curious if a co-worker suddenly disappears. @RinaRina she was still in the probation period, so if it doesn't work out for either side there is no need to give notice. Don't worry it will come out, because there is no confidentiality in the work place. Anybody who thinks there is better think again, because everything comes out. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

You mean nobody knows who the new manager is? How do you get things approved?

@Porcelain In my personal situation, you don't.  You approve yourself and wait for anything to hit the fan.  I got tired of begging for someone to talk to me and treat me like a valuable employee the first year in.  If they just want to sign my paycheck without any direction or support, okay, done.  My customers deserve the best I can do for them the first time they bring an issue to my attention rather than 'I'm still waiting for a response.'

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain In my personal situation, you don't.  You approve yourself and wait for anything to hit the fan.  I got tired of begging for someone to talk to me and treat me like a valuable employee the first year in.  If they just want to sign my paycheck without any direction or support, okay, done.  My customers deserve the best I can do for them the first time they bring an issue to my attention rather than 'I'm still waiting for a response.'

If I remember right, I thought you were planning on moving and getting a new job. I think that would be a good idea. I wouldn't be pleased to be expected to do my job without anyone to go to with questions or issues. Most workplaces aren't like that. Of course, they have other problems, so...

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

It may have nothing to do with where you work.

People usually submit resumes to multiple businesses.

I've had an employee accept a position, and then give notice before they finished training.

Why? Because they were offered another job that was more convenient, travel-wise. She could walk there instead of having to take the bus.

I've been hired to replace a "new" employee who imagined the job would be different, and didn't stay one full pay period.

These aren't unique situations, and why your new manager left is confidential, certainly not your business.

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

I can't believe how judgemental some of these posts are. It is human nature to be curious if a co-worker suddenly disappears. @RinaRina she was still in the probation period, so if it doesn't work out for either side there is no need to give notice. Don't worry it will come out, because there is no confidentiality in the work place. Anybody who thinks there is better think again, because everything comes out. 

@manny2, of course it is human nature to be curious, but that's a far cry saying that you have the right to know.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland