Trusted Contributor

All Cruelty Springs from Weakness

Seneca said: "ALL CRUELTY SPRINGS FROM WEAKNESS."

What are your opinions on this succinct statement?

I think that there is a root of perceived weakness or fear of weakness in many cruel actions.

To grow and to become more human and more humane is one of the very important goals of living, I think.

May November be good to all of us,

Solar  Smiley Happy

Contributor

Re: All Cruelty Springs from Weakness

I agree with that to a certain extent. I also believe cruelty springs from pure evil which could be described as a weakness.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What kind of weakness?  Where does the weakness come from?  Cruelty is complex and can have more than one origin.   Weakness can be lack of self-control and self-awareness and examination, but again, where does that come from?  

I believe cruelty stems from several different things.  Here are a few examples.

Learned behavior from parents who treated them cruelly.  Also from institutions that treated them cruelly.  Cruelty can stem from a lot of repressed anger that needs to be expressed in a healthy way.  

It can stem from excessive bullying in school.  Inferiority complex. 

Mental illness.

Studies indicate criminal behavior may be inherited.  Not sure that is conclusive, though; however, cruelty is associated with criminality.   

Honored Contributor

@Solar Is My Name wrote:

Seneca said: "ALL CRUELTY SPRINGS FROM WEAKNESS."

What are your opinions on this succinct statement?

I think that there is a root of perceived weakness or fear of weakness in many cruel actions.

To grow and to become more human and more humane is one of the very important goals of living, I think.

May November be good to all of us,

Solar  Smiley Happy

@Solar Is My Name 

Seneca as a Stoic often wrote about the relationship in humanity.  He was also committed to the soul as a body.

I take this quote not as the weak are evil but that the weak do not have enough, if at all, the guidance of the strong.

Often the weak person wants to change, may be uncomfortable in the script he/she is following, but does not have the guidance or bases not changing on fear.

I think we can agree that a person who, e.g., is a bully is weak; the bully knows no other way.  Aside from mental illness (psychosis e.g.), cruelty and weakness can be in perception, too.

I believe that there are two perceptions of weakness and the quote opens up a way to view weakness in different lights.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'd say cruelty springs from fear, low self esteem, presumed powerlessness and weakness.  

Honored Contributor

I prefer to think cruelty stems from ignorance, which is rampant in our society, and the inability to empathize with the victim.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Cruelty springs from meanness.  Doesn't matter if it is inborn, caused, or whatever.  Meanness is the bottom line.  No empathy for other living things.

Respected Contributor

I think it springs from lack of love and self esteem.

Respected Contributor

Weakness of character maybe, but clearly people with a lot of power can be very cruel and viscious in maintaining it.

Honored Contributor

I think it comes from a lack of love for the    person or people you are being cruel to.  Could that also come under the heading of weakness....Yes.