Honored Contributor

AAA refresh driving course on line

[ Edited ]

DH and I are taking this. We get a discount (5% each) on our car insurance for Three  years  once completed.   Not even  just for the minimal discount ..... It is also just a good idea I think to refresh our minds with  this information since driving laws and such have changed over the 40 plus years of driving we have done. 

It it is a bit slow...not really stimulating to listen to.....but I am just doing a half hour a day or so until a I get through it.  

Have any any of you taken this course? You have a choice of online or they have classes in some places locally.  If you are a AAA member it is $15 a person....if you are not a member it costs $19 a person.

Respected Contributor

Re: AAA refresh driving course on line

I have done this several times, but always in person.  I've had horrible classes and fun classes, but it is always worth it for the savings.  

I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.  (I wonder if the discount on auto insurance is a state thing, and not every state does this.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Contributor

My dh and I have taken the courses both ways. I like the classroom version better. Once and done.

Trusted Contributor

I've taken the same course for the same auto insurance discount (effective for 3 years) online via AARP.  I know it's 6 hours of computer screen interactive coursework and you have 60 days to complete it, so you can do it as fast or slow as you want. Any time of day. In your pajamas, if you want! 

A bit dull, but I did learn a couple of things and it reinforced more mindful driving strategies. It's slightly more expensive ($19.95 for members) than AAA, but I do recommend it. Both AAA and the AARP driver safety classes are eligible for 10% insurance discounts for drivers in NY state, my own location.

Before signing up for any particular online class, make sure it is accepted for the discount by your own insurance carrier. Beats killing a day in person at any agency location when you can sit home and learn the same stuff for the same certificate. AAA or other class, it's a good idea, @SeaMaiden.

Here's more on signing up via AARP:

https://www.aarpdriversafety.org

Honored Contributor

@gizmogal  Thanks for sharing your experience!   Do you get  something to ditto off saying you completed the course?  How difficult is the final exam?  I just hope I pass!😳

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's no statewide insurance discount in CA that I'm aware of, and I don't have AAA auto insurance - plus...5% wouldn't motivate me for that reason alone.

Edit: There IS a discount, but I still wouldn't do it just for 3-5%, whatever it is - but would still do for my reasons below.

But since I may need to take a driving test at my next renewal next year, and if not, the next time certainly, I do want to take a senior driving/defensive driving type of course, whether it's from AAA or elsewhere, but I would look to AAA first and IMO that's a very reasonable price. I'm one of those who would want to go in person. I would pay more attention/get more out of it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I did it on line for the insurance discount.

You had to spend so much time on each page, couldn't move forward until the allotted time had passed and every so often you got a message that you had to call the voice recognition number to verify that it was you taking the course.

You know how most people have a bucket list?  I have a never doing that again list, it's one of the items on that list. 

I couldn't imagine having to do it in person in an actual classroom setting.  It was miserable.

Honored Contributor

The insurance discount on my insurance amounts to $8 per month, not worth the time or the money for the course

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The insurance discount on my insurance amounts to $8 per month, not worth the time or the money for the course

@I am still oxox   I totally agree... there is little incentive.  I am with Farmers and they offer very little by was of savings. After doing it this time, I doubt I will do it again.. I will look at this time as a good refresher course for me.  But, probably one and DONE. 

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

There's no statewide insurance discount in CA that I'm aware of, and I don't have AAA auto insurance - plus...5% wouldn't motivate me for that reason alone.

Edit: There IS a discount, but I still wouldn't do it just for 3-5%, whatever it is - but would still do for my reasons below.

But since I may need to take a driving test at my next renewal next year, and if not, the next time certainly, I do want to take a senior driving/defensive driving type of course, whether it's from AAA or elsewhere, but I would look to AAA first and IMO that's a very reasonable price. I'm one of those who would want to go in person. I would pay more attention/get more out of it.

Does CA have a law now about retaking the driving test periodically?  That would have been so helpful with my mother years ago.

@Moonchilde