Valued Contributor

Been Using WEN for Over a Year....Having Trouble With Flat Hair. Help Weners

First let me say that I wash my hair 3 times a week and with WEN's use, it seemed to work out perfectly. However, in the past month my hair has been flat the next day and almost dirty looking. I tried several different CCs with no results. I do rinse my hair very thoroughly.

I finally bought Pantene Sheer Volume shampoo that is silicone free. I washed with that and used WEN as my conditioner. After washing, my hair felt tangled and yuck but the WEN did fix that. However, my hair is now two days removed and looks like it was freshly washed.

Any suggestions on what I can do so I can go back to WEN?. Also does anyone know why, if the Pantene I purchased is silicone free why my hair felt so awful after washing with it?.

): Sad Wenner here.

TIA

Valued Contributor

Re: Been Using WEN for Over a Year....Having Trouble With Flat Hair. Help Weners

Are you maybe thinking of silicone free vs sulfate free. I no longer use shampoos with sulfate. They last I remember they were too harsh for my hair, leaving it too dry looking.
Formally NewtoWen
Super Contributor

Re: Been Using WEN for Over a Year....Having Trouble With Flat Hair. Help Weners

I'm not that familiar with Pantene, but if you truly meant it was silicone free then that's why you hair felt so tangled. Silicone would be the ingredient that would make it feel smoother and less tangled.

As far as Wen goes, make sure you are using enough to clean your hair and adding enough water to distribute it through your hair. Using a wide tooth comb helps too. You can also try a lighter formula like CA or BGT.

Super Contributor

Silicone gives slip to shampoos and conditioner to prevent tangles. For volume with WEN I spray the volumizing spray on my roots. My cleansing routine is every other day, sometimes I can go one more day.
Super Contributor

I've found that I get different results from different CCs. I've also found that some of the CCs that don't work great by themselves (for me) work much better when I actually do the double cleanse.

Another thought--maybe the condition of your hair has changed enough over time that you need to try a different formula?

Honored Contributor

Have you recently changed your styling products?

If you're using styling products that have water insoluble silicone in them, you can wind up with build-up. Detecting water insoluble silicone is tricky business, because they may become soluble when mixed with other ingredients. That means that if you find a water insoluble silicone in the ingredient listing, it might be okay if the other ingredients are listed. It takes a lot of research and, unfortunately, there's no single web page I've found that has all the information needed to figure it out, you have to it all down in multiple locations.

Naturallycurly.com and Google are your best bets and they can guide you toward products with water soluble silicones or products that are silicone-free.

Esteemed Contributor

Your hair was tangled because your shampoo lacks silicones. Silicones help with moisture retention, fairy knots on curly hair, add shine and minimize frizz and tangles.

I used silicones frequently prior to Wen. They build up as much as any oil or styling product. Wen and any good cleanser (whether or not it contains sulfates) will easily wash them away.

You're probably thinking of using a sulfate-free shampoo. I can say from personal experience that Pantene's Moisture Renewal for Curly hair was a sulfate shampoo that was not harsh on my hair. I was loyal to Pantene Curly for years until I discovered Wen.

What changed in your regimen? Did you look at the expiration dates of your Wen products?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I did this early on when I was Wen-sperimenting.lol The shampoo may have had silicones in it, and siliciones and Wen are a bad comboSmiley Sad It takes a bit to get the ickies out and go back to just straight Wen--but IMHO for me it was totally worth it.

I would recommend a call to the salon to see if they can advise you what to do next. I haven't had it happen in the 2 years I've been using Wen, that it made my hair flat or lifeless--unless *I* add oil to my hair after cleansing and put in too much...but even at that, soon as I cleanse I'm fine.

Def worth a call to the salon....

Super Contributor

It may be you just haven't hit on the right WEN variety for your hair type.

When I use Lavender, which is supposed to be for volume, it pulls my curl out and makes my hair flatter. 613 used too much gives me frizz. BGT also pulled my curl out.

I've found TT for a first cleanse and any seasonal gives me full, frizz-free shiny hair.

It may just be that you need to do some experimenting to find the right combo for you.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies especially correcting me about the silicone free vs. sulfate free. Somehow my mind got lost when I saw the Pantene and thought I was buying sulfate free. That bottle is going in the trash. Boy, no wonder my hair was a hot mess after washing.

I have tried different cc's... and unfortunately I am allergic to the TT. I use lavender and pomegranate and have gardenia and cranberry mint on hand also.

I will try some different combinations as you suggested and see what happens. My hair overall has looked so much better with Wen that I don't want to give it up.