Honored Contributor

Re: message from Medicare - coronavirus

@patbz wrote:

@bikerbabe :  USA Today had an article today that was titled "the vaccine does NOT  cost $3000" .

@bikerbabe was referring to her guess at the cost of the test, not the vaccine...at least I think so🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I heard that yesterday. Hopefully everyone not on Medicare or Medicaid will also be covered under our regular health insurance. I'm not paying for that test that's for sure.

@Nightowlz

I watched a weekly news conference from our nations  capital yesterday.

The lady holding the meeting, said Medicare and Medicaid patients test would be covered. She did not say private insurance companies would cover this test. 

In New York State, private insurance companies have to cover the test without cost sharing. 

Please contact your provider with any questions. 

Esteemed Contributor

The biggest problem we have is that as of today there are only 75,000 available tests. We need hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of tests. Other countries have been able to test their vulnerable populations. We were unprepared.

Honored Contributor

At first I wasn't going to let this all bother me too much, but as it's spread I can feel my anxiety level increase with each passing day...I worry so much about my kids who live in the city, & DH who can mostly stay in or around the house but he is immunocompromised and I fear him catching this!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee

I read the test cost $3200-3600. You should contact your insurance provider with any questions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SilleeMee

I read the test cost $3200-3600. You should contact your insurance provider with any questions.

If that cost is true, I wonder how people w/o insurance will be able to afford that?  I personally know people who have no insurance that I know of, not to mention thousands of other people who I don't know, and they are not Medicaid eligible either. People who don't get tested could potentially spread the virus...asymptomatically. This is one situation where every test should be made free to everyone who asks for it. Otherwise the control over the spread will be useless.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@SilleeMee

If that cost is true, I wonder how people w/o insurance will be able to afford that?  I personally know people who have no insurance that I know of, not to mention thousands of other people who I don't know, and they are not Medicaid eligible either. People who don't get tested could potentially spread the virus...asymptomatically. This is one situation where every test should be made free to everyone who asks for it. Otherwise the control over the spread will be useless.

Free to anyone that asks for it is a little ridiculous.  How many are going to jump on that bandwagon even though it's unnecessary.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

The biggest problem we have is that as of today there are only 75,000 available tests. We need hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of tests. Other countries have been able to test their vulnerable populations. We were unprepared.

The CDC developed a flawed test and that was what slowed things down initially.  Also, at first only the Atlanta lab was verified to test.  Now there are many more labs testing and the CDC test has been corrected.  Tests are available to health professionals at this time, supposedly.  I know Lab Corp can test now.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

At first I wasn't going to let this all bother me too much, but as it's spread I can feel my anxiety level increase with each passing day...I worry so much about my kids who live in the city, & DH who can mostly stay in or around the house but he is immunocompromised and I fear him catching this!

It is worrisome.  I don’t want to catch it and pass it to a compromised family member.

Honored Contributor

I read quarantine at home and treat symptoms...monitor fever...and stay in contact with dr