Honored Contributor

@vickie25, I went and browsed through Manduka mats and they look like really high quality mats but too expensive for me considering I might bail out of using it if I can't make myself  stay involved.  Exercise and me don't get along but I know my flexible will be helped using this.  Thanks for introducing me to this line.

I'd really love something like the kit that QVC has but the kit has a mat that looks super thin but it has a carrier a blocks with it.  I think the brand is Valeo.  No reviews.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

This is the mat I ordered from Amazon a few months ago. I love it.  It rolls up easily and it's not heavy at all.  You may need to hold down the edges at first with weights to undo the roll but it's very thick and comfortable for my gym classes.  It's also not hard at all to get the carrier on and off.  

The only thing that bothers me just a bit is that it does pick up everything on the ground.  I am fine brushing it off or spraying it down.  My gym is pretty clean and you can always spray and wipe the floor before you put it down but, if you are a neat freak, that may bother some. Just a quick dust off after class is all I normally need to do.  

LUXEHOME 1/4-Inch Extra Thick High Density Anti-Tear Exercise Yoga Mat with Carrying Strap, 72.In x 24.In, Perfect for Stretch Exercise Gym Exercise Body Building
Esteemed Contributor

Try Target or TJ Maxx.

Super Contributor

My TJ Maxx always has a big assortment of mats.  I noticed one lady in my class layers 2 mats.  I have 2 mats so I think I will try that tomorrow.  If that doesn't work for me, I'm going to pick up a thicker one at TJ Maxx on my way home.  Good luck finding the right mat!

Honored Contributor

@Lori Kaye wrote:

I purchased a double thick yoga mat online from Best Buy. It is great if you want the extra cushion and I got a Gaiam carrier from Amazon. 

This sounds great!

I got my Gaiam yoga mat from BB (not online) but it is not double thick. No carrier either.

-  I did a quick search & I like the look of some of the bags that combine gym bag/tote with a simple yoga mat holder. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@vickie25, I went and browsed through Manduka mats and they look like really high quality mats but too expensive for me considering I might bail out of using it if I can't make myself  stay involved.  Exercise and me don't get along but I know my flexible will be helped using this.  Thanks for introducing me to this line.

I'd really love something like the kit that QVC has but the kit has a mat that looks super thin but it has a carrier a blocks with it.  I think the brand is Valeo.  No reviews.

I totally understand to start out with something less expensive till you see how much you will use it.  I hope you find something that works for you.

Honored Contributor

I have a Wai Lana.  

It's not too thick that I can't balance on it.  If you get something too thick, your foot will wobble too much and you won't be steady.

http://shop.wailana.com/products/extra-thick-phthalate-free-mat-color-buttercup.html

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @VaBelle35 for your feedback.  I'll check this out.  Yes, I've heard that thickness can bee a problem.  The thin ones hurt my knees, though, lol.  Rock and a hard place is where I am, I guess.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

How about one of those gardening mats that you put under your knees.  You can put that on top of the mat for your  knees.  That might work.  

Mat.jpg

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Well, I'm still not doing that great in the weight loss department but since May, except for my vacation week (7 lb gain), I've went to my fitness center 5 or 6 days a week. My shoulder almost never hurts anymore.  I can almost touch my toes again.  Less stiffness during the day although mornings still takes me a minute to lubricate, lol.  

My knees are better, too, but I've come to realize my left hip joint is weak.  It hurts doing movements for balance where I have to stand on my left leg alone such as for 8 to 10 doggy kicks with the other leg.

One of the classes I avoid is the flexibility class where you get on the floor a lot.  Getting down to the floor and getting up from the floor is a lot of difficult work and being on my knees feels like stinging pins.  One of the instructors of the class says I should come more regularly and it will get better.

As you can see I like to give back stories before I come to the point.

I've been looking for my own yoga mat because those at the facility are too thin for the comfort of my knees.  One with a carrier.  QVC has some but I want to make sure it's not thin as I've heard some are.  Amazon has some, too, but reviews are mixed and have obnoxious rubber fumes.  Anybody here familiar with a   good yoga mat that comfortable for knees?  Thanks a bunch.

I got a nice mat at TJMaxx and it has a strap to carry the mat, it is thicker than the mat at the studio, if there is a store near you take a look.

I just put my mat over theirs.