Honored Contributor

Xarelto getting sued, users dying from internal bleeding . . .

. . . and yet they're still running the Arnold Palmer ad on TV.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Re: Xarelto getting sued, users dying from internal bleeding . . .

Hey Ford! 

Yeah, they released their product too soon, wanted to try to beat Boehringer Ingelheim to the punch with their release of Pradaxa.  Now the big push is who will be able to come up with a coagulant first.  Boehringer paid $96 million in fines.  It'll be interesting to see how much is paid out for Xarelto.

Honored Contributor

@PhatCat wrote:

Hey Ford! 

Yeah, they released their product too soon, wanted to try to beat Boehringer Ingelheim to the punch with their release of Pradaxa.  Now the big push is who will be able to come up with a coagulant first.  Boehringer paid $96 million in fines.  It'll be interesting to see how much is paid out for Xarelto.

Hi PhatCat!

This burns me so bad, it makes me want to scream at the TV.  I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago thinking I had a blood clot in my leg.  Turns out I did not, thankfully, it's the RA attacking a new joint . . . oh joy!

However, had it been and they had offered me a "blood thinner," I'll bet you anything it would have been Xarelto.  Oh, believe me, I wouldn't have taken it.  But they would have heard the nasty side of this Jersey Girl's tongue!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My doctor gave me Xarelto to take for 10 days after my makoplasty and on the second day I had excruiating pain and went to the ER. The tibia was bleeding out into my lower leg. They had to pump me full of platelets to stop it. My leg was purple from the tips of my toes all the way to my groin the next morning. They told me to wait 3 days and then to start taking them again - I went home and threw them in the trash. I also never took them when I had the other knee done - I learned that lesson. BAD DRUG.

Honored Contributor

Shaking my head..the makers won't stop the ad unless the public screams and writes to the tv channel to take it off the air.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

Coumadin is tried and true, and also easily reversible with vitamin k, so it should be everyone's first choice. Pradaxa and Xarelto are efficient blood thinners, but not easily reversible. Coumadin is now generic though, so the drug manufacturers want something more profitable. As a general rule you're better off sticking with the proven older drug over the brand new stuff. The INR testing with coumadin isn't even bad if you get the home testing equipment. It takes less than five minutes once a week.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Two years ago, my then 91 year old mother was told she needed a blood thinner. Her doctor chose Cumadin because it was tried and true. At 93, Mom is doing OK. She gets checked regularly but has had no untoward side effects. These prescription drug commercials are despicable. And Kim K's dangerous recommendation of a morning sickness medication was thankfully pulled because of the FDA. Why are Americans the only country subjected to these ads? It's unconscionable in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

My dear friend of almost fifty years died last month after taking Xarelto.  She was bleeding internally when she went to the ER.  She was in the hospital over a month, mostly in ICU, with one thing after another wrong with her.

I've suggested to her children that they see an attorney.  I don't know what her final cause of death was determined to be, but they did an autopsy.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Both my 87 year old dad as well as myself are on Xeralto. We both have atrial fibrillation. My dad did not like going for blood tests and was willing to take it. I have been on it for one year, no problem. Our cardiologist has had ZERO patients with bleeding issues. So far, so good.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, my 59 y.o. SIL died about a month ago of internal bleeding while taking this drug.

The lawsuit is being prepared.

Smiley MSN Emoticon sad 182.gif
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.