Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you think of the BMI index, or weight schedules you see?

@ID2 wrote:

It's been 4 years now since I got my act together and lost 70 lbs and became a health and exercise nut. I just turned 70 and my BMI is 21. I've never been healthier! I'm just astonished what I read here. Not many seem to even care about their health. Woman Sad

The thing about social media, is that people can anonymously berate, and judge others. There are posters here who fit into that category.. 

“Children do not start wars, and they cannot end them, but they always pay the highest price.”  Catherine Russell, UNICEF Executive Director
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

Science isn't personal. Do what you want.

@Love to Run It isn't always right either.  Eggs?  No eggs? This drug, well maybe not?  Science learns and grows.  Things people used to do for health now will kill you.

Frequent Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

Waist circumference is considered a more accurate predictor of women's cardiovascular health. 30" and under is the target. 

I've always heard that women should strive to keep their waist circumference under 35, not 30, to lesson cardiovascular risk.

Might just be wishful thinking on my part though.......Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Emma Bunting wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

Waist circumference is considered a more accurate predictor of women's cardiovascular health. 30" and under is the target. 

I've always heard that women should strive to keep their waist circumference under 35, not 30, to lesson cardiovascular risk.

@emma bunting You're absolutely right. According to the American Heart Association, waist size above 35" poses significant risk, above 30" moderate risk. Thanks for pointing that out.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

Science isn't personal. Do what you want.

@Love to Run It isn't always right either.  Eggs?  No eggs? This drug, well maybe not?  Science learns and grows.  Things people used to do for health now will kill you.

@Sooner Yes, science is always learning based on evidence. The most up to date evidence supports women using waist size as guidance. Again, do what you want.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

I follow my late father's advice who was a surgeon, my primary care doctor and guidelines from the American Cancer  Society.

BMI 20

Weight 105

Waist under 30

Frequent Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

@Emma Bunting wrote:

@Love to Run wrote:

@emma bunting You're absolutely right. According to the American Heart Association, waist size above 35" poses significant risk, above 30" moderate risk. Thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't realize that above 30 was still  a moderate risk. Yikes. I carry my weight in the middle so I'm doomed! 

Esteemed Contributor

If you use your scale, BMI and body measurements as general guides, you will be fine. If any one of these sets off an alarm, take action. After my pregnancies I went back to my original weight and have kept it there. Guess I use a scale mostly. Actually didn’t know my BMI, went to look and even after losing 2” I am still 22.
Honored Contributor

Don't ever do one meal a day; it will mess up your metabolism.