Respected Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

Love Vicks.  I use it every night on my hands, elbows, and feet.  My skin is smooth and pre COVID when I went for a pedicure the attendants did not have to spend time to remove calluses.   

Lately, I have put a very small amount on the crease between my eyes.  It is helping to make it less noticeable.   

@luvzchiz 

I use Vicks at night on my feet and elbows.  Be very careful using it anywhere near your eyes.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

after thinking about it for months....think it's time to use Vicks on the psoriasis on my feet....i've tried Cerave psoriasis cream....did not help.... does Vicks work well for anyone....is it worth dealing with the smell of Vicks.....you folks are always such a help.....thank you....

@nana59 @If you use a cream that contains lanolin you will get better penetration of the cream and longer lasting benefits. It is highly emollient,moromoting smoothness and reducing roughness by 50%.  You can add in any other cream after putting the lanolin cream on. Hydrate the skin by washing it and drying it before cream application. It's best to apply after showering. You can put on some socks after applying for awhile to keep any still on top of the skin from getting on your floors or you can use a towel to wipe off any excess after rubbing it in if you like.

I use a lanolin cream such as NIVEA CREME in the dark blue tub to rub in first. Then I might follow with a bit of Lubriderm afterwards. I have psoriasis everywhere. The cream almost makes the lesions disappear. Another excellent choice is EUCERIN ORIGINAL HEALING CREAM. It's in a tub with a red top. Be careful, because they make others that look like this one that do not contain lanolin. I had psoriasis on the backs of my thighs that had become cracked and very sore this winter. One application of this Eucerin completely hydrated the area and the cracking and soreness was healed. I buy the smaller tubs in a pack of three on Amazon to avoid contaminating what's left in a big tub. 

Cerave is O.K. but I didn't find it particularly helpful for psoriasis. Urea, the key ingredient in Cerave Psoriasis Cream is not as effective in smoothing psoriasis lesions.

The reason Vicks works is because it contains petrolatum. This ingredient is very good for psoriasis. Most of the creams I use that contain lanolin also contain petrolatum.

About lanolin. Quoted from Wikipedia:

"Skin bioengineering studies have shown the durational effect of the emollient (skin smoothing) action produced by lanolin is very significant and lasts for many hours.

Lanolin applied to the skin at 2 mg/cm2 has been shown to reduce roughness by about 35% after one hour and 50% after two hours, with the overall effect lasting for considerably more than eight hours.[1] Lanolin is also known to form semiocclusive (breathable) films on the skin.[2]

When applied daily at around 4 mg/cm2 for five consecutive days, the positive moisturising effects of lanolin were detectable until 72 hours after final application.[1] Lanolin may achieve some of its moisturising effects by forming a secondary moisture reservoir within the skin.[9][10]

The barrier repair properties of lanolin have been reported to be superior to those produced by both petrolatumand glycerol.[1] In a small clinical study conducted on volunteer subjects with terribly dry (xerotic) hands, lanolin was shown to be superior to petrolatum in reducing the signs and symptoms of dryness and scaling, cracks and abrasions, and pain and itch. In another study, a high purity grade of lanolin was found to be significantly superior to petrolatum in assisting the healing of superficial wounds."

Mindy D....thank you so much for your helpful reply...i will purchase a lanolin cream.....

@nana59 @It can start out feeling a bit thick and a bit waxy. Warm a drop up between your fingers and rub it in. It will continue to be absorbed below the surface of the skin and will get s,other on the surface as it warms to your skin temperature.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

after thinking about it for months....think it's time to use Vicks on the psoriasis on my feet....i've tried Cerave psoriasis cream....did not help.... does Vicks work well for anyone....is it worth dealing with the smell of Vicks.....you folks are always such a help.....thank you....

@nana59 @If you use a cream that contains lanolin you will get better penetration of the cream and longer lasting benefits. It is highly emollient,moromoting smoothness and reducing roughness by 50%.  You can add in any other cream after putting the lanolin cream on. Hydrate the skin by washing it and drying it before cream application. It's best to apply after showering. You can put on some socks after applying for awhile to keep any still on top of the skin from getting on your floors or you can use a towel to wipe off any excess after rubbing it in if you like.

I use a lanolin cream such as NIVEA CREME in the dark blue tub to rub in first. Then I might follow with a bit of Lubriderm afterwards. I have psoriasis everywhere. The cream almost makes the lesions disappear. Another excellent choice is EUCERIN ORIGINAL HEALING CREAM. It's in a tub with a red top. Be careful, because they make others that look like this one that do not contain lanolin. I had psoriasis on the backs of my thighs that had become cracked and very sore this winter. One application of this Eucerin completely hydrated the area and the cracking and soreness was healed. I buy the smaller tubs in a pack of three on Amazon to avoid contaminating what's left in a big tub. 

Cerave is O.K. but I didn't find it particularly helpful for psoriasis. Urea, the key ingredient in Cerave Psoriasis Cream is not as effective in smoothing psoriasis lesions.

The reason Vicks works is because it contains petrolatum. This ingredient is very good for psoriasis. Most of the creams I use that contain lanolin also contain petrolatum.

About lanolin. Quoted from Wikipedia:

"Skin bioengineering studies have shown the durational effect of the emollient (skin smoothing) action produced by lanolin is very significant and lasts for many hours.

Lanolin applied to the skin at 2 mg/cm2 has been shown to reduce roughness by about 35% after one hour and 50% after two hours, with the overall effect lasting for considerably more than eight hours.[1] Lanolin is also known to form semiocclusive (breathable) films on the skin.[2]

When applied daily at around 4 mg/cm2 for five consecutive days, the positive moisturising effects of lanolin were detectable until 72 hours after final application.[1] Lanolin may achieve some of its moisturising effects by forming a secondary moisture reservoir within the skin.[9][10]

The barrier repair properties of lanolin have been reported to be superior to those produced by both petrolatumand glycerol.[1] In a small clinical study conducted on volunteer subjects with terribly dry (xerotic) hands, lanolin was shown to be superior to petrolatum in reducing the signs and symptoms of dryness and scaling, cracks and abrasions, and pain and itch. In another study, a high purity grade of lanolin was found to be significantly superior to petrolatum in assisting the healing of superficial wounds."

Mindy D....thank you so much for your helpful reply...i will purchase a lanolin cream.....

@nana59 @It can start out feeling a bit thick and a bit waxy. Warm a drop up between your fingers and rub it in. It will continue to be absorbed below the surface of the skin and will get s,other on the surface as it warms to your skin temperature.

@Mindy D  Can you use just lanolin?

Frequent Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@nana59 

What a coincidence you just posted this about Vicks.  For weeks I have been struggling to get rid of an outbreak of HIVES, especially on one of my legs.  One thing that has helped to take away some of the itch is charcoal-activated soap.  However, I could not get the hives to reduce in redness and size and just go away.  I tried different lotions and creams.  So, a few nights ago, I looked at a jar of Vicks Vapo Rub in my medicine closet.  Why not?  So I slathered some on my poor affected leg.  It has helped.  I apply once in the morning and once in the evening.  Honestly, the hives are not gone, but they are drying up and are smaller.  Who knew?  Vicks has been around since I was a kid-that would be well over 50 years-maybe longer, I don't know.

Never would've thought of Vicks for hives.

good info.