Super Contributor

VancouverUSAgal...about my bilateral knee replacement..from gazelle77

Hi! I am 58. I suffered with OA in my knees for 15 years. The last 10 years was the worse of it. No cartilage ,bone on bone, and bowed out legs from it all. I had to use crutches to get about. I am slender, and 5' 8" tall. People would always comment that "I should not have problems because I am so slim..." But that has nothing to do with getting OA in many cases. You probably should try to lose weight to make surgery safer, and for the long term out Come of your implant. But, that is up to you. My surgery took about 3 hours with no complications. I was only in the hospital for really a total of two days . Some people go to a recovery place instead of going home if they do not have help. I had my husband to help me so I went home. The first week you will need round the clock care...as time goes on, you will be able to do more and more on your own, The main things in those first days at home are ice bags for your knees, pain meds taken every 4hours, and rest rest rest. You willin most cases start Physical Therapy the next week after you get home, three days a week. Some People have in home, or out home. You can decide on that . I chose to go to a place just near our home as I believe you get a better quality of care that way. I am still going to PT twice a week. It is VERY tough and difficult but it is the only way to get your ROM(range of motion) bend and the straight leg back. I am going on 10 weeks out now since surgery . It is AMAZING how much better I feel! Not only my legs no longer bowed, I am walking with no assistance, cane only if out shopping. I am off all pain pills! Not even Tylenol . I use to take 12 to 15 aspirin a day and still be in pain! I have a way to go to get my gait back , learn to walk without limping or a straight leg, which was so much a part of my life for 10 plus years. I look forward to a bright new future with no pain! Plan to take off at least 12 weeks from work. A website that was life saving to me through this journey is BONESMART.org. You can join and ask questions, share stories etc. I have a thread I started from day one in the hospital and all the way through to today. I have the same name there if you want to read my thread...Gazelle7777...it is titled. jUST GOT OUT OF SURGERY JUNE 4th 5:30 PM. Ask any other questions you would like! sorry there are no paragraphs, but with iPad, it comes out this way.