Respected Contributor

@ OP. Perhaps you could check out youtube for cardio. I’v been doing it for years. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: TOTAL GYM. It's not Cardio.

I used to use my Total Gym quite a bit. Now it just sits there. For some reason, when I get up and go to a regular gym, I am more prone to work out for a longer period of time. At home, it's like....oh, I should call so and so, and I stop. And there is always a reason to stop and do something else. But that's just me. ha!

Honored Contributor

Hi @World Traveler 

I am just the opposite. My home gym has more than some gyms I have seen, and every piece of equipment, including my Total Gym 2000, were bought by me for specific reasons. My primary reason was/is, because I do not want to go to any facility to do workouts I can do in my home.

People are different in many respects, including this topic. When I do my workouts, my mind is on the effort I am putting out, not on the mundane other things I might want to do. Not many would put close to 20,000 miles on a treadmill in their basement if they preferred doing it elsewhere.

Hey, whatever works for you is the best way to go.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

I think we’re cut from the same piece of cloth!

When I cycle indoors at the gym, in the past I used to like lots of music

to motivate me & keep me entertained. A switch must have flipped

because today, I prefer no music to the sound of my own breath.

Mind you..this is in a dark room without any windows or distractions...

only the sound of the bike gears & my breath. Like your treadmill

running, it’s almost meditative, eh? Have a good day!🏒

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@sgraham30 

I didn't know you were having Cardiac issues. Did you post something about them here?  My history with Cardiac Disease I have talked about here frequently, along with my recoveries. Just curious about why Cardio is ruled out of your recovery. Do what you will with my male/heart patient curiosity.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut , I just today saw this, I didn't receive any type of notification about your post. I have ventricular tachycardia, caused by suspected myocarditis that I had summer 2015. Since Feb 2016, I've had 3 radiofrequency cardiac ablations, the most recent one failed last week after less than 3 months.

With the insurance that I have (ChampVA) cardiac rehab isn't covered after an ablation. For it to be covered, I'd have to have an angioplasty with stents, a CABG, a heart attack, or another event listed on their schedule of covered reasons for cardiac rehab.

To me cardio is walking, doing tabata.When I do either one of those, my heart rate gets to 150 or higher & I'm gasping for air so I had to stop doing those.  Just a few days ago I decided I was going to try the rowing machine at the gym that I go to to see if I was able to do it. I managed 5 minutes before I got light headed & had to stop.

Now that I know that I can do cardio but I have to be sitting down to do it,  I'll be doing the rower at the gym & using my recumbent bike at home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler , I am the total opposite of you.  I would rather exercise at home.  I am going to the gym to swim 8 months of the year and can swim at home the other 4.  I have an elliptical and Pilates machine.  I have been unable to do too much with the Pilates machine lately due to a back issue but it will soon to healed.

I use the elliptical on my off swim days.

I totally agree that the Pilates machine will change your shape, longer and leaner is my result.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Sounds like you have your exercise routine down pat. YAY! Keep it up!

Do you have one of Susan Lucci's pilates machines? 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler , I have Aeropilates.  LM