Contributor

Re: Question about my upcoming operation

Thank you. That is so very good to hear.

Esteemed Contributor

They put me on Colace before I left the hospital to prevent the No2 problem.  You're right you don't "push"!!!!!

My surgical scar is crossways just above the pubis bone.  If your surgeon will do it, it makes the process easier than a vertical incision.

Good luck.  Hope you don't need all your pain pills either!  Just take it easy and NO LIFTING!

Respected Contributor

Had mine about 30 years ago. I was nervous but tired of being in pain. I already had my children. My doctor suggested taking everything. He was my cousin and I trusted him. It was a slow recovery but I have never been sorry.  Good luck. 

Contributor

I'm going to ask about having a horizontal vs. vertical incision. Thanks for mentioning.

Catiele, thank you for telling me about your experience. Much appreciated.

Frequent Contributor

I had one 8 years ago. Horizontal incision is best, my dr went in thru my old cesarean scar. On the fourth day I could climb stairs but no lifting for a month. Also, no taking clothes out of the washer. Best of luck!  

Honored Contributor

@tama wrote:

I just learned that I must have a complete hysterectomy later this month. There is a mass the size of an orange on my left ovary. I am hoping someone can tell me what I might expect as far as pain and healing afterward; will it be a while before I can use the stairs, and so on. Thank you so much.

someone I know had one a few years ago went back to work a bit too, soon.  So take  the 6 weeks they tell. even tho she felt great the full work day tired her more than she expected.

I was using the stairs with my kids after I had a c-section so that shouldn't be an issue.  (had no help so I had to)

Pain control and surgery is more sophisticated today.

Super Contributor

Had a hystrectomy several years ago...Dr. used tape to close me up and those were taken off within a week.  Because I live alone recovery was not that easy... I did not have that much pain and was very careful taking showers and walkin g around the house.  Could not drive for 4 weeks and had friends bring me supplies that I needed.  I stocked up the house before the surgery so I was ok for awhile.  Not to much pain and had to get in and out of bed carefully because it felt like I tore something and I did not...It was very lonely being alone all day and nite but I hired a friend to clean the house twice - that was heaven... Take  care of yourself and treat yourself like a pincess... Write to me again if  you are up to it.

Esteemed Contributor

@tama wrote:

I'm going to ask about having a horizontal vs. vertical incision. Thanks for mentioning.

Catiele, thank you for telling me about your experience. Much appreciated.

Contributor

I had one 8 years ago. Horizontal incision is best, my dr went in thru my old cesarean scar. On the fourth day I could climb stairs but no lifting for a month. Also, no taking clothes out of the washer. Best of luck!  

The doctor went thru my old hysterectomy scar (horizontal) to do my surgery.  She used both the robot and made an incision but she got the job done!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In case you have trouble getting to and from the bathroom, incontinence underwear will give you time to get there without worrying about accidents.  There is no leakage with the heavy duty ones.

ETA: The disposable kind, like TENA, Always or Depends.

Super Contributor

I had the Da Vinci laproscopic hysterectomy last year. My doctor had said that recovery time would be much less and less overall pain. Well, I don't know about that. Of course, I didn't have the traditional incision hysterectomy to make the comparison, but, I did have a lot of pain afterwards. I had four small incisions made - one in the navel for the camera, and 3 others for the instruments used to remove the uterus and ovaries. For the first few days after the surgery, I could barely stand up straight without a lot of hurting and couldn't lay down in the bed (or get up) without help. Healing time, though, was probably much less than the traditional incision hysterectomy.   

Deep In The Heart of Texas