Honored Contributor

I go to one (have since 2002). My orthopedic Dr sent me to this pain management place. The Dr is very famous. They try all of the latest and greatest things.

They are great, unfortunately my back cannot be fixed. There are too many things wrong with it.

I believe in a person listening to everything their Dr says and then deciding what they want to do. How much pain can you live with day in and day out?

My group of Drs handle many kinds of chronic pain. I hope you are able to get some relief.

It is terrible having pain that no one else can see. I always say that if I had a cut going down my arm I'd get some sympathy.

Recently my Dr gave me a print out on what is wrong with my back. Now when I have someone looking at me like, "Sure, right". I show it to my friends. They are like, "Wow! I had no idea".

Well, now they do. I'm tired of explaining myself. Like I said, I hope you can get some relief. Don't let anyone talk you into feeling guilty about your pain or try to convince you it's in your head.

Take care.

Super Contributor

Have the same problem.. I know I have both types of Arthritis and suffer from Sciatica...

When I am very tense and stressed bothers me more..

I use some over the counter rub on's like the roller ones you don't have to touch... Also lately have taken Alieve once a day... I like to take a Acetaminophen type Pm for pain...

My husband recently had Hernia surgery and am on my feet more often taking care of him..

Wishing you good luck when you see your Dr... Hope he can help you..

lovestodance

Trusted Contributor
On 4/19/2014 annabellethecat said:

I go to one (have since 2002). My orthopedic Dr sent me to this pain management place. The Dr is very famous. They try all of the latest and greatest things.

They are great, unfortunately my back cannot be fixed. There are too many things wrong with it.

I believe in a person listening to everything their Dr says and then deciding what they want to do. How much pain can you live with day in and day out?

My group of Drs handle many kinds of chronic pain. I hope you are able to get some relief.

It is terrible having pain that no one else can see. I always say that if I had a cut going down my arm I'd get some sympathy.

Recently my Dr gave me a print out on what is wrong with my back. Now when I have someone looking at me like, "Sure, right". I show it to my friends. They are like, "Wow! I had no idea".

Well, now they do. I'm tired of explaining myself. Like I said, I hope you can get some relief. Don't let anyone talk you into feeling guilty about your pain or try to convince you it's in your head.

Take care.

Annabelle, all I can say is I feel your pain! I've had 3 neck operations, and they still can't find the source of my neck and shoulder pain. Unfortunately you can't "see" nerve pain, so it's very difficult to diagnose. It sounds like you are in a similar situation. People are tired of hearing about it, and you are tired of talking about it, right? Thank goodness we have pain management! People don't understand what that means until you have to live with a level of pain most people will never understand. We laugh at Aleve, Advil and other OTC meds, they don't come close. Yes, our pain management doctors dispense narcotics, but only after a complete exam and diagnosis, not because we walk in and "ask" for them. We are also monitored with drug testing to make sure we are not abusing the meds we are given. And as I said before,they do a lot more than dispense meds, and people who don't understand that, have no idea what they are talking about. Having to go to a pain management doctor is no fun, especially the reasons we are there! Those who imply that we somehow like the drugs we are given, and that the doctors are in some sort of racket doing so, are mistaken. Of course there are some criminal enterprises out there, but the vast majority are well-educated, well-trained, caring professionals, who would like nothing better than to find the source of your pain and either treat it or alleviate it completely.
Honored Contributor
On 4/19/2014 happy housewife said:

So John- this doctor feels that instead of treating people's treatable acute illnesses they should be sent to pain clinics and put on strong narcotic drugs instead? hummm. and for how long before they instead start to treat them and cure them ? or , if they are treating them why couldn't the doctor who is treating them order them the needed pain meds over the short term while they are caring for them?

No, this doctor my nephew is the one treating their treatable problems. I said nothing about an "illness" I said "pain" and chronic pain.

I've been to a lot of doctors for a lot of different things and I have yet to find one that will say "you will be completely recovered and/or pain free on a given day/week, some problems, even months. Maybe you have doctors or have heard their during your nursing career tell patients they will be better on an exact date and day. I haven't been that fortunate.

Remember the thing called "doctor/patient confidentiality"? I talk with my nephew I do not grill him on specific patients unless that patient is myself. Thus I will leave those questions unanswered.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/19/2014 willdob3 said:

Get a diagnosis first! I hope you are feeling better soon.

I have not gone to anyone for pain management. I have always looked to discover the cause of the problem & correct it. Drugs should be a last alternative.

I used to have bad pain in my legs and feet when I walked. Then, after I had a blood clot in my legs, I decided to try Procaps Labs Circulation & Vein support supplement. I was pleasantly surprised when it caused my pain to disappear on the first day I took it. I took it for a few years and when I ran out I discovered that the pain did not return. I thought my doctor was correct & that the pain was because I was overweight but I had not lost any weight when I took the C&VS supplement so I guess my doctor was wrong, as he often is.

I started taking this supplement 1 week ago, hoping it would help with my neuropathy. I can't live with this pain anymore!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

emmie, you need to go to the Dr and get his opinion. Please let us know what he says. I live with terrible back pain every day. I go to a pain management place. I have a lot of things wrong with my back.

It is always in the lower part of my back. Back pain is hard for people to understand unless they have it. I always say those who suffer with back pain would get more understanding if they had a cut that others could see.

Please go to a Dr and maybe it is something simple but at least you will have an educated opinion. Annabelle/Linda

Regular Contributor

I don't want to scare you, but my dad had pain in his legs in the months/year leading up to his heart attack. He went to his doctor several times complaining of this problem and not once did the doc catch on that this is a symptom of a heart problem. (Which, of course, my dad later found out!) Please have your heart checked.

Honored Contributor

I agree with Norsky you shouldn't rule anything out.

Honored Contributor

Halfpint -

There is pain and then there is PAIN.

Now that I work from home (and am approaching the Big 6-0), I work out intensely 5 -6 days a week.

On the days I do 5 miles on the elevated treadmill, I am in pain for at least the first 20 minutes. Some days it's my shins, other days it's the back of my legs. I think I just can't stand the pain. But if I keep on walking fast and don't stop, something miraculous happens - the pain subsides and I get a second wind.

I see a trainer 2 days a week. He says he ALWAYS feels that way about running...it's a pain you have to work through.

Sometimes it takes some pain to get better...that has been my experience. There are mornings that everything aches when I get out of bed...but staying active is very helpful.

I'm sure you will have medical reasons ruled out...but if you are OK - try being a little more active every day.

Honored Contributor
On 4/20/2014 emmiesmom said:
On 4/19/2014 willdob3 said:

Get a diagnosis first! I hope you are feeling better soon.

I have not gone to anyone for pain management. I have always looked to discover the cause of the problem & correct it. Drugs should be a last alternative.

I used to have bad pain in my legs and feet when I walked. Then, after I had a blood clot in my legs, I decided to try Procaps Labs Circulation & Vein support supplement. I was pleasantly surprised when it caused my pain to disappear on the first day I took it. I took it for a few years and when I ran out I discovered that the pain did not return. I thought my doctor was correct & that the pain was because I was overweight but I had not lost any weight when I took the C&VS supplement so I guess my doctor was wrong, as he often is.

I started taking this supplement 1 week ago, hoping it would help with my neuropathy. I can't live with this pain anymore!

Neuropathy is often caused by magnesium deficiency. Have you tried supplementing with liquid ionic magnesium and/or magnesium oil? These are the forms that are well-absorbed and used by our bodies. Magnesium pills and capsules are mostly wasted when we take them.