Respected Contributor

Re: “Older people... are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible.”

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Two younger couples that own homes on our street have contacted us (in our 60's) and the couple (in their 70's) living next door.  They offered to pick up our shopping orders and deliver them to our doorsteps.  We barely know one of these couples since they just moved into the nieghborhood in the last few months.  I told them that I appreciate their consideration and deem us fortunate to have such thoughtful neighbors.  I likely will be purchasing a couple gifts for these families come December.  

What wonderful neighbors!  And I'm guessing you are the same kind of person....what goes around comes around.  

Esteemed Contributor

Here is what I am thinking, though. If I go buy my folks groceries, medicines and such, there is no gaurantee that someone sick hasn't sneezed or coughed on whatever I do buy for them.

Yes, it would be better than them going thereselves I think, but I am now thinking it would be impossible to totally get away from this virus if it gets widespread.

I am also thinking about our church and this handshaking thing they do every Sunday morning. They need to cut that stuff out.

And there are people who will not stay home no matter what they are told.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

I have a question maybe someone in the health profession can answer.

The virus travels through the air (through droplets), right?  Then why is it so important to wash our hands or use sanitizer so much?  I mean, we wash our hands after using the bathroom, when coming in from outside and before eating.  This is normal.  Is there any benefit in doing this more often?

There are two ways to get the virus.  One way is exposure to droplets in the air that we breathe in when someone who has the virus coughs or sneezes.  That's why those who have or might have the virus are told to wear masks.  The second  way that  we can get it is when a  person with the virus coughs or sneezes into their hands and then touches a faucet, a doorknob or anything else solid.  The virus then is on that object and someone who comes along, touches it, the virus is then on that person's hand and then that person touches their face or rubs their eye or eats something and the virus is transmitted to that person.  It gets in through mucous membranes which includes our eyes.  That's why they advise scrupulous hand hygiene, not just routine handwashing for a few seconds.  Scrubbing with hot water and soap and for I believe 2 minutes.  We should only rely on hand sanitizer when we are not near soap and water.    I think how often you would do all that depends on your lifestyle.  How often you go out but also how often other people come into your home.  Even something as benign as picking up a UPS package or the paper off your doorstep.  I think it's particularly important for older people and those with respiratory issues to be meticulous about good hand hygiene. Also they say we should keep our hands off our faces.    Just make those things a habit because COVID 19 is going to get much worse before it gets better, these are just he very early days.   

Honored Contributor

Thanks for posting this. 

If for no other reason, than as proof to those who say things are over hyped and everyone needs to go about their usual business. 

I tire of people who choose the careful/conservative side of a situation like this being chastised and criticized, like has happened on this topic and others similar before. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry @Mindy D ,

but for years now I have no idea what the he!! "older" even means, and many of my "older than me friends", and my older sister, feel exactly the same. Every once in awhile I will say to my wife "that old guy there", then I think, he's probably younger than me.

I will pass on the chronological age thing and stick with my physiological age. I am healthy now and very physically fit for an old fart, so I will stick with my same activities. Life happens and if it gets me once again? Oh well!

I do appreciate you sharing this info with us.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

In a similar advisory from King County, WA, older people has been defined as 60 and older.  

@tansy 

You're kidding, right?  I find that funnier than!  60, really!!!!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@tansy wrote:

In a similar advisory from King County, WA, older people has been defined as 60 and older.  

@tansy 

You're kidding, right?  I find that funnier than!  60, really!!!!

hckynut

In Canada they call you a senior at 55.i saw a sign on the senior center that said 55 and up.lol.Might be five yearsless is  because of the exchange rate.

Valued Contributor

@ Chrystaltree - Thanks so much!   Great explanation

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"There are two ways to get the virus.  One way is exposure to droplets in the air that we breathe in when someone who has the virus coughs or sneezes.  That's why those who have or might have the virus are told to wear masks. 

The second  way that  we can get it is when a  person with the virus coughs or sneezes into their hands and then touches a faucet, a doorknob or anything else solid.  The virus then is on that object and someone who comes along, touches it, the virus is then on that person's hand and then that person touches their face or rubs their eye or eats something and the virus is transmitted to that person."

From Harvard University....

Does the coronavirus spread person-to-person?

Yes, the virus can spread from one person to another, most likely through droplets of saliva or mucus carried in the air for up to six feet or so when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

Viral particles may be breathed in, land on surfaces that people touch, or be transferred when shaking hands or sharing a drink with someone who has the virus.

Often it’s obvious if a person is ill, but there are cases where people who do not feel sick have the virus and can spread it.

Honored Contributor

I have been counting the number of people in my local area, age 80 and over, who have died since December 1st.   As of today, that number is 95.

These were all local people, their final arrangements were handled by 4 funeral homes within a 50 mile radius.   

My point in counting was a general thought that flu and virus season is hard on our elderly population, and to get a mental number of how many older residents we lose during the winter months.  I am sure many had terminal and chronic illnesses, but also believe their weakened systems cannot handle the strains of flu and viruses.