Respected Contributor

New concern about Lessman's CholestaCare

Unknown.jpeg

I'm a fan of many Lessman supplements, appreciate the care with which they are made (Omega 3, coQ10, Healthy Hair, Skin, Nails, Ultimate Eye Support, Essential 1). I am now targetting heart health—including lowering blood pressure, lipid panels, and cholesterol/triglycerides.

In addition to supplements, I now have a heart-healthy plant diet and cardio-strength-treadmill program. Eliminated processed foods, sugar, high sodium. This leads me to a concern about CholestaCare and how it actually works.

I have a cabinet full of CholestaCare that I stopped using a few weeks ago. As a scientist (who studies people/neuroscience, not biology), my reading of Andrew's cholesterol supplement is that it blocks unhealthy fats, using plant sterols. Logically, though, anything that BLOCKS the body's absorption of something in the stomach will block other things in the stomach. QUESTION: what else is a CholestaCare supplement blocking?

If someone is eating what they normally do, not a restricted diet, and not taking many other supplements, Lessman's products would be great (including ChocoNuvo, another Blocker)—blocking the bad stuff (and I realize our bodies naturally produce cholesterol). However, if you are now eating a healthy diet (and exercising), is CholestaCare blocking the good things?

Went back on the HSN Lessman web to read, including REVIEWS.

*** Several (of the hundreds) shared concerns because their TRIGLYCERIDE levels suddenly went up when taking CholestaCare and they wondered why. That happened to me. I auddenly had the high triglyceride levels ever.

Thoughts? This is such a useful thread, I appreciate the specific, relevant experiences and expertise of those who contribute. @SilleeMee is my fav on chemistry.

Respected Contributor

Re: New concern about Lessman's CholestaCare

Some of us take advantage of the many supplements now available. We take many supplements in a day.

I now think there might be a difference between supplements that are ADDERS and supplements that are BLOCKERS.

Chemically, what happens when you take several supplements that ADD something at the same time as we take a supplement that BLOCKS? Wishing I had paid more attention in my chemistry courses . . .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking CholestaCare and other plant sterol supplements faithfully for the last 19 years, my numbers are fine, but I have blood work scheduled for next month,so we will see.  I usually ingest 1600  mg plant sterols daily, 1200 from CholestaCare and 400 from Natures Way, since that one also contains Pantesine. I also take Policosonal and Beta Glucan daily for heart health. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have been taking CholestaCare and other plant sterol supplements faithfully for the last 19 years, my numbers are fine, but I have blood work scheduled for next month,so we will see.  I usually ingest 1600  mg plant sterols daily, 1200 from CholestaCare and 400 from Natures Way, since that one also contains Pantesine. I also take Policosonal and Beta Glucan daily for heart health. 

@Shelbelle   I have heard that Natures Way is excellent for supplements. Thanks for the heads up.

Sometimes another company offers an ingredient (often an ingredient that increases absorption!) that Lessman's do not.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Unknown.jpeg

I'm a fan of many Lessman supplements, appreciate the care with which they are made (Omega 3, coQ10, Healthy Hair, Skin, Nails, Ultimate Eye Support, Essential 1). I am now targetting heart health—including lowering blood pressure, lipid panels, and cholesterol/triglycerides.

In addition to supplements, I now have a heart-healthy plant diet and cardio-strength-treadmill program. Eliminated processed foods, sugar, high sodium. This leads me to a concern about CholestaCare and how it actually works.

I have a cabinet full of CholestaCare that I stopped using a few weeks ago. As a scientist (who studies people/neuroscience, not biology), my reading of Andrew's cholesterol supplement is that it blocks unhealthy fats, using plant sterols. Logically, though, anything that BLOCKS the body's absorption of something in the stomach will block other things in the stomach. QUESTION: what else is a CholestaCare supplement blocking?

If someone is eating what they normally do, not a restricted diet, and not taking many other supplements, Lessman's products would be great (including ChocoNuvo, another Blocker)—blocking the bad stuff (and I realize our bodies naturally produce cholesterol). However, if you are now eating a healthy diet (and exercising), is CholestaCare blocking the good things?

Went back on the HSN Lessman web to read, including REVIEWS.

*** Several (of the hundreds) shared concerns because their TRIGLYCERIDE levels suddenly went up when taking CholestaCare and they wondered why. That happened to me. I auddenly had the high triglyceride levels ever.

Thoughts? This is such a useful thread, I appreciate the specific, relevant experiences and expertise of those who contribute. @SilleeMee is my fav on chemistry.

I never have taken a supplement but years ago I went on a plant based diet and gave up all meat, cheese and just ate plants, low glycemic fruits and some whole grains. My triglycerides went through the roof to over 300. That was from my usual 75-100, eating chicken, fish and dairy. My physician told me that I needed fat and protein and the whole grains and plant diet were increasing the sugar in my system. My A1C also went up to 6.1. So it could be the diet? Not everyone fares well on plant based diets @1Professor .

I googled and apparently this is a common problem on plant based diets. Not everyone but some people need more protein and good fats.

Honored Contributor

My friends have been on a plant based diet for many years, I will check with them , never once heard them mention any issues. And the only supp they take is B12. 

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11   How completely useful and on point! Wow. Thanks so much.

I am getting protein (plant based), but perhaps not enough.

My SERIOUS diet change (I was always plants) was the 4 months before my last blood work. You've offered a fabulous explanation

Recently added one dairy (no sugar Greek yogurt with cultures) and avocados (love!) which have high fat. Perhaps a protein powder? (Just googled. Article on 12 best protein powders including animal- and plant-based protein powders.) I'd be fine with adding an animal based powder, rather than adding actual meat (my psych).

Anyone with experience on PROTEIN POWDERS? Recommendations welcome.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor @This will provide necessary background although it does not address sterols. It might help you figure out why the triglycerides are high.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiz-526g_iAAxVccDABHVcUBEEQ...

@1Professor @Second paper. Sterols and triglycerides.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwib4om5ifiAAxUyEEQIHSFBAfAQ...

@1Professor try adding in fatty fish or fish oil. This definitely lowers triglycerides. There are also meds that can raise triglycerides; diuretics, estrogen and progestin (which leads me to believe that phytoestrogens from your diet could be involved), steroids, retinoids, beta blockers (if you use eye drops for glaucoma these are often beta blockers), 

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@Trinity11   How completely useful and on point! Wow. Thanks so much.

I am getting protein (plant based), but perhaps not enough.

My SERIOUS diet change (I was always plants) was the 4 months before my last blood work. You've offered a fabulous explanation

Recently added one dairy (no sugar Greek yogurt with cultures) and avocados (love!) which have high fat. Perhaps a protein powder? (Just googled. Article on 12 best protein powders including animal- and plant-based protein powders.) I'd be fine with adding an animal based powder, rather than adding actual meat (my psych).

Anyone with experience on PROTEIN POWDERS? Recommendations welcome.

My son took protein powders and just about all the guys he knew at the gym (and himself) ended up with elevated liver enzymes.

Personally, I think not everyone does well on these type of diets. Eat real food, exercise and if you still want to stop eating meat see a RD and get a professional to give you a dietary program based on your labs.

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor 

Coincidental that you posted this today.

My bloodwork just came back and my overall cholestaral level has gone up.  

In the last 6 months I increased the number of CholestaCare I took to 6 a day in the hopes of lowering it.  Instead, it is now higher than ever.

My diet is very healthy, mostly plant-based, some fish, no red meat or pork.  I know the difference between bad and good fat and stick to that routine...low carb and very low sugar.

I'm very discouraged.  Previously, I ate healthy, but had eggs daily and now that I still eat healthy and went to an egg substitute AND increased my intake of CholestaCare, my labs are wonky.

Part of it I know is genetics, but, honestly, I've made my self sick worrying about it. 

I think I'm giving up on the supplements for now, but not sure what else I can do.