Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help. Sinus pain and drainage.

I am trying to think... surely in all of my years of this awful stuff there was SOMETHING I did for temporary relief! Taking oil of oregano does help somewhat... the oil in water (about three drops) and drinking it...also, the capsules help, too. It just won't ELIMINATE an ongoing infection. It is a little bit more effective than goldenseal. I can't drink tea, although one of the herbal teas might help. HTH still best to check with MD first

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Just as an addition to my other post:

"...Acute sinusitis is most often caused by the common cold. Other triggers include allergies, bacterial and fungal infections... Most cases of acute sinusitis don't need treatment because they're caused by viruses that also cause the common cold. Self-care techniques are usually the only treatment needed to speed recovery and ease symptoms..." (Mayo Clinic)

"...For acute sinusitis: Sinus infections are commonly caused by viral infections, which do not respond to antibiotics..." (WebMD)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

Another person expecting medical diagnosis and treatment from anonymous strangers on an internet board. For goodness sake; if you're sick and not getting any better, go and see a doctor!!!

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 GoodStuff said:

Another person expecting medical diagnosis and treatment from anonymous strangers on an internet board. For goodness sake; if you're sick and not getting any better, go and see a doctor!!!

GoodStuff, these threads bother me, too, even though I know posters mean well. Even when/if we can't get in quick contact with our personal physician's office, most people have a pharmacist who knows us, our history, etc., and they can provide far better answers than strangers on an internet forum.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

On 12/26/2014 dooBdoo said:

Another person expecting medical diagnosis and treatment from anonymous strangers on an internet board. For goodness sake; if you're sick and not getting any better, go and see a <em>doctor!!!</em>

GoodStuff, these threads bother me, too, even though I know posters mean well. Even when/if we can't get in quick contact with our personal physician's office, most people have a pharmacist who knows us, our history, etc., and they can provide far better answers than strangers on an internet forum.

Yes......the symptoms OP describes could be a cold, sinus infection, flu, any number of things. How in the world can a bunch of people reading internet posts know what kind of illness someone has and what they should do for it? No one here can prescribe medication like antibiotics that may be needed, either.

Super Contributor

WOW
Honored Contributor

I am wondering how long it will be before a law suit renders these medical questions untenable. It will take only one big suit where someone suffers a major medical issue or worse based on shade-tree mechanic guessing and recommending. Then, who will be held libel?

Esteemed Contributor

Most of the posts I have read here advise seeing a doctor. If that leads the O/P to seek medical attention, then it was a good thing.
Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 lovestoteach said:

My go-to is a salt solution made with Nell-Med packet and distilled water mixed in their sinus rinse bottle. It clears the nasal passages and soothes them before they can become infected. If done enough, it will prevent an infection for me now.

Can you breathe in steam or soak in a hot bath? Cold/hot packs on the sinuses can soothe. I'd have to agree, it is so miserable, but stay after it and stay after the MD to get you cleared up.

I'm a big NeilMed fan as well. In fact, I just picked up a 100 pack tonight at Target. I am also prone to sinus infections due to a deviated septum, so I try to keep that side clear as best I can.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

If you have pain in your face, around your eyes, or bridge of nose, then you need to see a Doctor. I would go to a walk in clinic if you can tonight but if not in the morning. Most likely you need antibiotics.