Honored Contributor

Re: Long wait to see a doctor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I called up today and have to wait to Dec. 6. I guess it wasn't that important to them-- My hands and fingers hurting more and seem like going dead. Then I want to ask about noises I hear in my house only that drive me crazy. I guess California has too many sick people.

OP, I really don't think a regular doctor can help you with hearing noises in your house! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I never have to wait to see my Doctor. If I just need a quick easy out, I go to Urgent Care where I am seen almost as soon as I walk in.

@proudlyfromNJ  My GP's wait has gotten very long but these days I have so many doctors I've collected since cancer so I now only use my GP as my air traffic controller in that she keeps track of every single doctor I see, what drugs they put me on, etc.  I have all the others CC her on all my tests. 

The GP monitors things a lot of my other docs don't in blood labs and she monitors my BP and meds for that.   I call to make an appt and if my refills are about to run out, they give me a prescription for a smaller qty till my appt.  There are many situations I have begun using Urgent Care for things I know they can handle - I cut the tip of my finger off using a mandoline and it wouldn't stop bleeding, I had poison ivy that would just not go away, etc.  They are great for many things and much easier and faster to see.

Respected Contributor

I belong to Kaiser and never have to wait long if I need to see someone.  They also have after hours care for emergencies.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle 

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

It's not just California, @halfpint1.

The exchanges have dumped more patients into the mix than the physicians in my area can handle, too. (I live in SE Michigan)

To make matters worse, several physicians have closed their practices because they have the maximum number of patients they feel they can care for. This is not only for Internal Medicine, but for specialites, too.

I just make my appointment and wait for a long time to be seen. mmmmm- Wow, we now have Canada's version of healthcare, it seems.

dee

Yes it seems we are getting there but it is still way more expensive.I think it will keep getting worse.

Respected Contributor

For an acute problem I am able to see my MD quickly or go to urgi care if it can't wait at all. For chronic issues there may be a bit of a wait but nothing major. For medication refills or referrals, it's just a phone call. I guess it's all about maintaining a steady relationship with a healthcare provider. Just because I decide I want to be seen now doesn't mean I need to be seen now. There are others with more emergent issues.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Actually, three weeks is kinda quick now a-days.

I still think that she has auditory hallucinations.

Just like people can see things that aren't really there, people can hear things that aren't real too.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually see the doctor every few months  for he gives me an appointment to do that but I think my arthritis is acting up. A few years ago I had an operation on my back to take the arthritis out. And my leg is also hurting mostly when I wake up.

And for the person who thinks I am hearing things I believe it is the air conditioning when off. If you can not name exactly where nothing is done. Now it is louder at certain times. I happen to see a ac truck at the gas station and he says a fan could be at a vent and there are plenty of vents.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The last time I made an appointment to see my GP it took three months to see her and the time before that it took about the same amount of time.  I guess that's about normal for around here, but who knows.