Contributor

I've been listening to Dr. Joel Fuhrman on PBS and just read his Eat to Live book. What are your thoughts on this program? Have you tried this diet? It seems extreme to me and I don't think I could do it permanently. Does anyone eat just fruit for breakfast? I have IBS and I'm thinking this would not be a good choice for me, but I'm kind of desperate at this point.

Respected Contributor

Re: Joel Furhman, Eat to Live

I have been doing ETL for about 10 yrs. He actually got pretty popular because Dr. Oz sent to him his most difficult patients. I think the back-up info for his way of eating is excellent support. First, trust the eating plan because as a Dr., Fuhrman has seen how folks start and how they end up after and the results are impressive. I have fruit every day for breakfast, with a small dollop of yogurt. Salad with veggies and 1/2 can beans (usually black, low sodium) with the Fuhrman Salad Dressings I buy on-line. Dinner often a vegetable soup with lots of chunky veggies. Do I eat pizza. Of course, but he says be hard-core the first 8 wks. You can only lose weight and get healthy if you change your way of eating from now on. I feel best if I stay as close as I can, if I stray, I really feel badly. Almost like a hangover! Read the book a second time, you will learn even more the 2nd time. I have it on my Ipad and every so many years I do re-read also, and I get these ah-ha moments!
Contributor

Thanks for your reply! I am definitely on board with getting rid of processed foods from my diet, and found that really helped. I'm just not so sure about meat, fish, eggs and dairy, though.

Honored Contributor

"Extreme"...that was brought up in the film, "Forks Over Knives"...an excellent film for you to watch, btw. This meme says it best. I would take one step further by saying 'extreme' is sticking yourself w/ a needle every day (diabetes), not having use of your left arm/ leg due to a stroke (heart disease), having to continually scope out where the restrooms are (IBS), on & on. Yes, cracking your chest open is extreme, but sometimes the daily grind of illness & disease can add up to 'extreme', as well.

Eating fruits, vegetables, grains & potatoes w/ tons of flavorful spices with no processed oils...being satisfied, not hungry & having extra $$ in your food budget...extreme? Nope.....try it! You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Trusted Contributor

I've been following ETL for three years now totally vegan..I've lost and kept off 45lbs...I found the transition very easy..I still cook meat for DH..he eats ETL with me 3 days a week..I then add some lean meat or cheese to his meals...He still eats some sugar and drinks a beer now and then..I stay completely away from sugar and no beer or wine for me no wheat flour..sometimes I'll have a vodka tonic but very rarely..get DR Fuhrmans book and read it..transition little by little...there's alot of great info on the internet about it...www.fatfreevegan.com has some great recipes...DW

Trusted Contributor

Dr Fuhrman is on Kelly and Michael tomorrow..DW

Super Contributor

On 1/11/2015 sidsmom said:

"Extreme"...that was brought up in the film, "Forks Over Knives"...an excellent film for you to watch, btw. This meme says it best. I would take one step further by saying 'extreme' is sticking yourself w/ a needle every day (diabetes), not having use of your left arm/ leg due to a stroke (heart disease), having to continually scope out where the restrooms are (IBS), on & on. Yes, cracking your chest open is extreme, but sometimes the daily grind of illness & disease can add up to 'extreme', as well.

Eating fruits, vegetables, grains & potatoes w/ tons of flavorful spices with no processed oils...being satisfied, not hungry & having extra $$ in your food budget...extreme? Nope.....try it! You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Totally agree! Love Dr Fuhrman