Esteemed Contributor

If You Change Your Lifestyle Does Your DH/SO

join you in dieting/eating healthier and exercising.  However anyone wants to eat is their business and I know that nagging someone about any bad habit does not work. 

I ask because my 2nd cousin is married and his wife was never overweight maybe a size 8/10 and is about 5'6".  She decided to get healthier which is good, she is I would guess a size  now.. I am terrible at estimating and didn't ask. I can liken her to Kelly Ripa thin. My cousin is not overweight, no health issues,rides his bike and does weights.  He eats pretty healthy 90% of the time but once in a blue moon he enjoys a burger or a small dish of ice cream. Well, to hear her he is a couch potato eating a half gallon of ice cream every night. She pitches a fit if he brings a pint of ice cream in the house. She is very......intense for lack of a better word. In her eyes you have to be productive every day, all day. If you stop mid-afternoon for a cup of tea you're lazing around. Her own sister said if you put a piece of coal in her at breakfast, you would have a diamond by dinner. lol She is wound that tight.

So, if your spouse or SO doesn't join you would you police his food or ban things from the house?  My DH would laugh himself silly if I told him he  couldn't bring a certain food in his own house.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If You Change Your Lifestyle Does Your DH/SO

When DH was on Jenny Craig it was easy for me to stick to "my program" 

Since he quit it I've put on 6#  That's my fault not his, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Good grief - Absolutely not.  If you follow through with that idea, well, "disaster" is the word that comes to mind.

Remember, we're all adults and shouldn't be policing each other as through we're playing mother or father.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 @sfnative 

Your 2nd cousin’s wife sounds like a control freak who is going to die early from high blood pressure.

That is the type of personality that makes me run away.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative  I agree.  His wife reminds me of someone who smokes 2 packs a day for 30yrs. quit and preaches to everyone else.  Cousin lives about 6 blocks from my sister. Sis sees her walking their little, very short legged dog. She said those 4 little legs are going as fast as can keeping up with her. Poor thing must pee as it runs.

Honored Contributor

My DH eats like he is trying to get a heart attack.  He puts a half a stick of butter and a extra large dollop of sour cream on a baked potato for example.

i fight to get him to eat vegetable and fruits.  His mother said he was a picky kid when it came to eating.

i just try not to have unhealthy items in the house that he will eat.  I buy Italian Ice instead of ice cream.  I bake apples and other fruits and disguise them as desserts.  I put veggies in meatloafs and soups. I buy single serve bags of chips.

He doesn't go grocery shopping, so I can control his diet to a point..unless he eats lunch out somewhere when working.

On Saturday, I sent him to the store with a list for a couple of things.  He added a Boston cream pie, three bags of Hershey candy, couple of pounds of fudge (peanut butter, banana foster, pistachio, and chocolate) 2 bottles of wine, and a package of ice cream sandwiches.

He said he bought the candy for me.   I am a chocolate addict and threw a bunch of it in the freezer so I won't eat it.

I can't ban him from buying things, but I can nag him...Ha! doesn't work though.  He is at his proper weight and healthy but I am afraid his luck is gonna run out.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1   No, she's a carrier, she gives everyone high blood pressure. She makes me nervous being around her.  I guess opposites really do attract.  He doesn't get riled up about much of anything and she's like Ol Faithful ready to blow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie  Mine did have a heart attack almost 20 yrs,ago,  Right afterwards every he wanted to eat he held up and asked "do you think this is ok?"   20 years later if  I send him to the store with a list a few extras jump in the cart. He's going to be 75 and I love him like crazy, but he's an adult and I'm not his Mother.

Trusted Contributor

my husband is just a tad overweight. nothing significant. recently, his sugar is high even if he’s conscious about his intake. we can’t figure it out. whenever he goes on some diet for whatever health reason, i always join him. i don’t need to, but just want to support him. it’s easier when you’re both eating the same kinds of food. the other doesn’t get envious. besides, i’m always thinking i could lose some weight. maybe it’s a female thing 😄

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   You have a lot of odd relatives to talk about don't 'ya?  Woman Embarassed