Honored Contributor

Re: I started the strict FODMAP diet today for SIBO

@AspenGrove wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

Are you now able to eat anything?

Yes.  The idea is that they identified the foods that trigger inflammation in my body. I eliminated all of them completely for 3 months. (I had one food that was listed in the severe category and they have me eliminating that one for 6 months; no big deal at all.)  After 3 months, I introduced the eliminated foods back in, one by one, eating them only every 4 days.  By doing that rotation, the body has a chance to build immunity so that the food no longer triggers an inflammatory response.  By the way, the Alcat Test includes phone consultation with the lab and a nutritionist/MD to explain the results and how to proceed.

ETA: I found it very intersting that the Alcat test identified foods that Fodmap did not, which is clearly why I had such limited help from Fodmap.  AND ... meant to add that my doctor also has me take VSL#3 probiotics daily to help with gut issues.  VSL#3  is medical grade strength but does not require a prescription. I buy at Costco pharmacy for the best price. You might want to ask your doc about that, too. 

@AspenGrove

I'm really interested in this test and hope that Medicare covers it.  I like everything about your regimen now and know that I can handle that.  My gastro doc doesn't like probiotics though.  He's VERY mainstream.  But I am going to print out your post and bring it with me.  If he gets too pissy about it, I will try to find someone else (even though I've been seeing him for approximately 30 years) because I can't live like this much longer.  Every day is more miserable than the one before it, and I am sick of it.

Thank you again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree - you are very welcome. I'm happy to share the wealth of info I learned from my doc and the amazing results for my own body.  Just know that mainstream doctors often don't know about anything but traditional medical practices so your doc may not have the tons of evidence-based research done on VSL#3 for IBS, Chron's and other gut issues. You can google to find all the studies. 

As I mentioned, my doc is an integrative MD -- meaning she's a real doctor (!), but she is well educated and trained on complementary/supplemental medicine -- -including eastern medicine, nutrition, etc. So, instead of throwing meds at me when I have an issue, she guides me through other processes first -- such as the Alcat test.  For example, when I was having a hormonal issue a couple of years ago, she sent me to a medical acupuncturist and prescribed a Chinese herb instead of simply prescribing hormones. Problem was resolved almost immediately and has never returned. Of course, she also prescribes medicine when that is warranted, but when a different approach can be tried first, that's what we do. I love that. 

Valued Contributor

@LilacTree, I just checked ...you can show your doctor all of the clinical trials done on VSL#3  here.  Select Healthcare Professionals, then Evidence-Based Science for the links. 

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@LilacTree, I just checked ...you can show your doctor all of the clinical trials done on VSL#3  here.  Select Healthcare Professionals, then Evidence-Based Science for the links. 

@AspenGrove

Unfortunately, my problem is the opposite.  I am chronically unable to move my bowels, as I have little motility in my entire gastrointestinal system from my stomach to my intestines.  It's like a rocky desert in there.  I don't know if this regimen would help my circumstances.

I take Miralax, but that takes days to work, and it's never a complete clean-out.

I'm going to lie down now.  I will keep in touch. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Aspengrove, thanks fr the info you provided.  I will have t run it by my GI dr too.  Very interesting!  Do you have SIBO too??

Lilac Tree, somehow my GI dr managed to get Xifaxan to me for free , delivered to my dr.  Not really feeling much diferent after Round 1.

Valued Contributor

@bichon mom wrote:

Aspengrove, thanks fr the info you provided.  I will have t run it by my GI dr too.  Very interesting!  Do you have SIBO too??

@bichon mom, no I don't have SIBO. I have various gut issues that mimic IBS symptoms, although it's not officially IBS. 

Frequent Contributor

Ladies, this discussion has come at the perfect time for me.  Thanks Lilac Tree!  

I've been suffering with abdominal pain for a year & after seeing 2 GI docs & a Functional Medicine NP,  I'm actually heading to Johns  Hopkins on Friday for a GI consult.  

I've been through the very strict Elimination Diet (whew , that was difficult), & the Low Fodmap Diet (much easier), neither giving any relief to my constant stomach pain.

Has anyone had the breath test for SIBO?  Has Leaky Gut been suspected? Has anyone ever mentioned seeing a GI/  psychiatrist to determine if your condition is caused by a 'brain to gut' dysfunction?   I ask because the only diagnosis I've received is the catch all IBS.  Sadly, even my Functional Med NP has no answers for me Smiley Sad    Hence my trip to Johns Hopkins.

AspenGrove, the Alcat Test sounds promising!  I'll talk to the GI doc about that.  May I ask how you found your Integrative MD?  It seems you found a winner!

To everyone who suffers with this horrible condition, I wish you all well.  At this point, I'd sell all my belongings if it meant I could return to life without pain.

Honored Contributor

@tulips wrote:

To everyone who suffers with this horrible condition, I wish you all well.  At this point, I'd sell all my belongings if it meant I could return to life without pain.

@tulips

Please, please, please Google, "mcdougall diet sibo".

My Dr. has many writings, videos, studies & testimonies talking about this condition.  A change in diet will yield pain-free results.  I would recommend reading as much as you can...especially opposing viewpoints...before committing to anything long term.  Information is free & the knowledge you gain will be priceless.  HTH! 

Here's an excerpt:

"The truth is that overgrowth of bacteria is found in very few people with abdominal distress who receive this diagnosis of SIBO. Taking a sample of the intestinal fluids and finding an excess of bacteria in the small intestine makes diagnosis. However, this is a complicated procedure; so instead the hydrogen breath test is used to make the diagnosis. The hydrogen breath test is highly unreliable and produces many false positive diagnoses of SIBO. Antibiotics are often used to treat this disorder, but the benefits of this approach are limited, with recurrence being common.

Real cases of SIBO are rare. This condition is found in patients who have problems such as diverticula (small pouches) off the intestinal wall, changes in intestinal flow that may result from surgeries of the bowel, and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Taking powerful antacids called proton pump inhibitors (for example, Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium) prevents the stomach acids from naturally killing these bacteria and so SIBO develops.

Diet Changes Bowel Bacteria: Do Not Eat Low-Carb

Most people think of bacteria as dangerous and dirty. Our intestinal tracts contain a complex and diverse society of disease-causing (pathogenic) and "friendly" bacteria, referred to as our "microflora." In addition to digesting remnants of our meals and synthesizing vitamins, the helpful bacteria play an important role in the development of the immune system and the production of hormones. In short, "friendly" bacteria prefer to dine on plant-food remnants, and pathogens thrive when the diet is low in plant foods and high in meat, poultry, dairy, eggs and other "junk food."

Therefore, what we choose to eat determines the predominance of the bacteria species that will live in our gut. By switching from a diet based on animal foods and highly processed foods to a whole food, plant-based diet, you can suppress the growth of harmful bacteria and stimulate those that are beneficial. Major alterations in the microflora take place within one to two weeks of changing a person's diet."

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tulips wrote:
 AspenGrove, the Alcat Test sounds promising!  I'll talk to the GI doc about that.  May I ask how you found your Integrative MD?  It seems you found a winner!

@tulips - Many friends around the country have asked the same question and so I asked my doctor. She recommends that people find integrative MDs (note that these are real MDs, not naturopaths, homeopaths, etc.) in their state by searching two authoritative sites: 

American Academy of Medical Acupuncture

and

AZ Center for Integrative Medicine

Note that the first site brings up MDs who do medical acupuncture in their practice but who also practice integrative medicine in general. So, it's a great place to find an integrative MD in your area. 

Trusted Contributor

Lol lo

@AspenGrove wrote:

@LilacTree, another thought ... I have some serious gut issues, as well, and did the Fodmap restriction diet for awhile. It helped a little, but not enough. My doctor, an integrative MD, suggested that I have my blood analyzed in the Alcat Test.  That test identifies food sensitivities (not allergies) that cause inflammation in the body—the root cause of many gut/bowel issues.  (Click the link I provided to learn about the test.)

I had the test done and eliminated the trigger foods.  Lo and behold ... it changed everything. AND, it confirmed that I am not sensitive to gluten, dairy and some other things that Fodmap says to steer clear of.  I'm 4 months post Alcat test and I would say I'm at least 90 percent better, if not more.  Pretty awesome.  So, it's something to consider. You do need an MD to write the prescription to have the lab work done and most insurance won't cover it. But for me, the money was worth every penny because my gut is happy now almost all the time.

@AspenGrove curious about what foods ended up being the trigger foods.