Trusted Contributor

Re: I had the most interesting visit with my doctor yesterday

@GoneButNotForgotten   I think it was last season on the tv show Grey's Anatomy, one of doctors started having mental issues.  Turned out that it was his hip replacement from years before was breaking down and emitting ions into his body.  They replaced the bad joint and he recovered nicely.  So I guess the show really does try to cover real medical issues.

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Wait what?!

My husband is going in for his right hip to be replaced on 8-11, I'm already a nervous wreck, should I ask abpout this?

I guess I should...is there a website I might be able to look this info up on and bring to his Doc's attention?

How timely this thread is...I thank you for posting it.

Ko

Ko---

If I were you I'd have a serious talk with your husband's surgeon/doctor about this. As far as web sites about this are concerned, I haven't looked for one so I don't know but starting with Google and/or Wikipedia might be a good idea.

Best of luck to your husband!

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten I am appalled to learn of your trouble. I consented to my helpless mother's hip replacement in 2001, and now, although she lived a long life, blessed by her two grandchildren, I am second guessing the decisions that we made then.

I am totally impressed by your sense of self care and resolve to find your best way forward. 

Please post when you get your answer. You will continue to be in my most optimistic thoughts.......

violann--if your mother isn't having any symptoms I wouldn't worry too much about it, but it would probably be a good idea to discuss this with the doctor who did the surgery or if s/he isn't around, whoever is taking care of her now. and probably a blood test wouldn't hurt either.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

That's very interesting.  I know a guy who had his hip replaced due to jumping out of airplanes while in the military.  He had surgery and then developed a rejection.  They took out the hip and waited until he healed, then put another in.  He went through that three times.

They gave him THREE hip replaceents??? I'm amazed; my doctor warned me that if the first one wore out, they could give me a new one but that's the limit: just two.

Of course your friend's situation is entirely different than mine. He was injured; mine "just" wore out (I worked pretty hard for a lot of years). But omg, 3 hip replacement surgeries! My first one was so painful and unpleasant that I almost didn't go through with having the 2nd one--but I did, and I'm glad I did.

Have you heard from him lately? How's he doing?

Respected Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

@pdlinda 

Don't they do replacements with ceramic parts?

Good wishes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My doctor told me they now use a combination of ceramic and plastic, and it wouldn't be a total hip replacement; "just" the parts that are shedding ions.

Honored Contributor

Both of my new knees are ceramic joints; I have pictures of both that clearly show the joint and the registration number. I keep these pictures with my important papers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Back in 2006, I had one hip replaced and less than a year later, the other one was replaced too.

Lately I've had what seems to be almost chronic bursitis in my left hip so I went to my hip doctor and he told me the most interesting--and potentially concerning--information

Back when I had my hips replaced they used metal replacements. A couple of years later most doctors began using ceramic ones. Recently a lot of people who had metal replacements about the same time I did started having the same symptoms that I've been having.

My doctor told me that for some reason, those metal implants are starting to release ions and that they're having to partially replace the metal implants. I had a blood test today to see if that's what's going on with mine.

If it is, I'll have that repair done faster than you can say "Jack Robinson". I most certainly do NOT want to have any kind of hip surgery but I'll be darned if I have to go on having all the chronic pain I've had for the last year or so.

On the bright side, it could "just" be another round of bursitis (I've had several). If it is, I'm going to bypass  ANOTHER round of physical therapy; I just can't wait weeks and months for that to kick in and it might not even work anyway. This time I'll just have the doctor cut that damned bursa out and be done with it.

Untill it grows back (and it will),and then I'll just keep having him digging it out.

Anyway, I thought the situation with metal implants releasing ions -- which is a no-no --was really interesting. And I'll be really interested to get the results of mu blood test.

@GoneButNotForgotten @For a great documentary about this watch "The Bleeding Edge." It's on Netflix and Amazon Orime Video. Here's a little about it on Wikipedia. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj-waOKy_rqAhVOS6wKHWycBWUQ...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten  I had my left hip replaced in 2008.  The surgeon used a combo metal/plastic prosthesis to avoid exactly what you are describing.  I clearly recall her saying that the combo material would avoid any shedding of the metal due to friction during use.  I had my right hip replaced in 2017 and that surgeon used the same type prosthesis.  I have had no problems whatsoever with either hip and hope it stays that way.

I hope you post again with the outcome of your situation.  Best wishes!!

You're lucky you had a smart cookie! My neighbor has had several hip replacements...she told me she hopes she dies before the expiration date ends..I bet her replacements were metal!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten I found this article on Pubmed after doing a search for "metal hip replacements and metal ions":

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23074495/

I thank you for sharing this topic here.  There is so much to learn about every procedure and implanted device.  I had no idea about the metal ion release problem with metal implants until just now.  The reason I selected that article is because the full article was free, and not just an abstract.  

Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten I found this article on Pubmed after doing a search for "metal hip replacements and metal ions":

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23074495/

I thank you for sharing this topic here.  There is so much to learn about every procedure and implanted device.  I had no idea about the metal ion release problem with metal implants until just now.  The reason I selected that article is because the full article was free, and not just an abstract.  

thank you for sharing this article.