Trusted Contributor

Help Please - Ring Stuck on Swollen Finger

I sprained my finger while opening the pull tab on a can.  My finger is swollen from the knuckle to my ring.  It's been this way for about 5 days.   The finger is not discolored, but hard to bend and hurts just a little.

I have not been able to get the ring off for several years due to my gaining weight; however, the finger had never hurt, never was discolored, etc. so I just let it be and hoped maybe when I loose weight it would come off.

I've read some of the tricks on-line about using dental floss, windex, etc.; however, I really think I need professional help as the finger is so puffy.

Has anyone had something similar happen?  If yes, where did you go to get it cut off.   A jeweler, an urgent care center?   Also, how much did it cost to have it cut off?

Thank you for your help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help Please - Ring Stuck on Swollen Finger

@BunSnoop  I didn't take my wedding ring off when I decided to use a demolition hammer on a project in the basement for 3 consecutive days in a row.  Overworking my hands during that project caused my fingers to swell and the wedding ring was biting my finger.

I soaked my left hand in some cold water in the bathroom sink.  I then used dishwashing detergent, sudsed up my finger and pulled that ring off.

I felt it going over the knuckle Woman Very Happy  however that finger felt so much better after the ring was off.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Frequent Contributor

I would try soaking your hand in ice cold water for 15 min. to reduce the swelling as much as possible. immediately after removing your hand from the water, rub liquid soap on the whole finger and try to remove the ring.  if that doesn't work, i would call the doctor's office for help.  Good luck!!!

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop  If none of the methods work for you, call local jewelers to ask them if they cut rings off and how much they charge.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I know the ER has a device to cut rings off.  Maybe urgent care does, too.  Call them and ask.  I would think they'd accept insurance for this.   

Honored Contributor

If you can't remove the ring soon, I would head over to your fire department.  They will have something to cut the ring off your finger.

Don't ask me how I know this.  LOL

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I've heard of local fire departments cutting rings off for people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This might sounds strange but Windex will work.(Yes the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding was right)

I have 3 permanent toe rings, I got then at a crafts fair and vendor got them on with WIndex and said that was the way to remove them 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laneysmom wrote:

I would try soaking your hand in ice cold water for 15 min. to reduce the swelling as much as possible. immediately after removing your hand from the water, rub liquid soap on the whole finger and try to remove the ring.  if that doesn't work, i would call the doctor's office for help.  Good luck!!!

This is what I do whenever my hands are swollen and my rings appear stuck.

If none of these rememdies help I would go to an urgent care to have the ring removed.  Its probably not helping the swelling in your finger.

Respected Contributor

A jeweler can quickly cut the ring off and many of them will not have a charge for the service.  They can also add metal (gold or whatever) to enlarge the ring for you.  By all means, have it removed. Keeping it onyour swollen finger isn't a good thing.