Regular Contributor

@springers --- only you know your own "triggers" but, on the whole, I'd say don't move too fast.  Start with removing one thing and master that; then remove the next item and master that.  Just my opinion, but if you remove sugar, flour, and all carbs all at once I think the change will be too much and you're just setting yourself up for a relapse.

If no/hardly any carbs works for you, hunt up the Dr. Gott books (I think there are -3-),  or Carol Sinclair's "Low-Starch Diet," or one of the many many many Paleo or Atkins books out there.

Regardless, best of luck---and just keep plugging away!

Honored Contributor

I second Whole30 as a great beginning.  You can also do the Primal Blueprint Jumpstart, which begins next week I believe.

I started with a Whole30 on Halloween 2014 and switched to the Primal Blueprint after 30 days and have loved it ever since.

You are correct that it's pretty much protein and produce, but you will feel amazing.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

You don't have to cut out sugars if you use raw sugar or buy proudcts using it.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Your body doesn't know sugar from raw sugar. If you are cutting out sugar, raw sugar is just sugar. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd so help me out.  What did you consume yesterday?  When I read what you cut out, I wondered what a meal consists of.

Honored Contributor

there are so many resources available.

some are good

some probably not good

but not buying junk food,  white junky, bread, snacks and food in bags is a start.

no soda, drink water,

lean protein.

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

sugar is sugar

what ever source you eat if from...honey or brown sugar

all the same

Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Plan

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@springers wrote:

Looking to cut out white sugar, flour, all carbs? Processed foods, what does that leave me to eat? Protein, veggies, some brown rice? What is a good site for recipes, plan to follow. What works for you?

@springers

Cut out all carbs, really? Big mistake! Been lacto-ovo since mid '70's. If I cut all carbs, I would starve to death. Unless one is diabetic, I do not get all this carb bashing. To me it is nonsense, in my opinion. I will keep eating primarily my complex carbs thank you.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

ITA.  Carbohydrates are the foundation of healthy eating/living.  They  provide energy, fiber & are pretty cheap, to boot.   People continually confuse cheap, processed snacky carbohydrates w/ clean, fresh, whole foods carbohydrates & ban them from the grocery cart.  Like I've said numerous times, Diabetes should reduce the Fat, not the Carbohydrates.  Like you, I don't understand all the Carb bashing...nonsense, indeed!

--------------

Atkins, Grain Brain, Wheat Belly, Whole30, Keto, Primal anything....with all these low carb, high fat diets being touted this time of the year, I'm stunned the public still falls for this nutritional scam.   I would think now, especially now with the MULTIPLE celebrity deaths caused by heart issues, the Public would wake up and make the nutritional connection with heart disease, aches/pains, kidney failure, early death & bad nutrition.

One day, decades from now, the Public will figure out a Plant Based diet (preferrably low fat, whole foods) will extend their life by decades.  

Maybe a young poster of these boards will think, 'Gee, I remember that poster, sidsmom, talked about plants all the time...she really DID know what she's talking about!!  

The 2016 Celebrity Death Chart should be an ominous predictor what we're doing...isn't working.  Obesity off the charts. Diabetes off the charts.  Heart disease off the charts. Obviously the popular way isn't working.  Shame it will be too late for many...but as long as they look good in skinny jeans, it's ok.  Nope.  

Health starts on the inside....no medications should be everyone's goal. 

Make the connection.  It's all about the food. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Plan

[ Edited ]

When I want to know what a healthy diet consists of then I look at  "blue zone" recipes. 

There is something for everyone. IMO, if you start with these choices then you really can't go wrong.

google "blue zone food guidelines"

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I want to know what a healthy diet consists of then I look at  "blue zone" recipes.  There is something for everyone. IMO, if you start with these choices then you really can't go wrong.  

google "blue zone food guidelines"

@SilleeMee

That's definitely a good start...95/5 rule.