Respected Contributor

Re: Growing up in the 1950's- 1970's VS Today

I grew up in Brooklyn NY and in a community of many cultures. The neighborhood was friendly but could be tough.

We all played outside. We got dirty, we fell off bikes, lost skate keys and ran home to not be late for dinner.

We had chores to do. We were responsible for ourselves and for our siblings.

We were expected to eat what was on our plate even if we did not like it.

Our parents had rules and the word NO was not said to either one of them.

There were consequences for our misbehavior.

We were giving the tools on how to survive and be responsible for ourselves and to show  respect for others.

Nothing came as entitlement. We earned our way and at times were rewarded.

We survived on what we had and not what we wanted.

Didn't grow up being told this food or that was dangerous. We rode in cars with  no seat belts. Did not wear helmets but survived.

We learned to be independent and responsible.

Today everything is appears to be different. There are play dates just to play. Kids do not go to parks just to play and meet new friends. Kids say NO to parents and there seem to be no consequences. Bad public behavior is acceptable. Parents do not set the rules, the caregivers do and teachers have such a difficult time controlling some children in classes and parents do not like being told the teacher is not happy with their little darling. Family life seems to have an entirely new structure.

Whatever, it is the world of today and not the world I grew up in. Change is a constant and therefore one can not be termed better than the other.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in the 50's and 60's in a small town and had parents who let us 5 kids run wild. We played in the street from sun up to sun down and were called home once a day, at supper time for a family meal. Kids were bullies back then too, but some how we knew enough to stay away from the kids who didn't like you and if someone shoved you, you shoved back and stood up for yourself. Of course, no Internet or social media to taunt you. We literally had nothing and were on our own, so if we wanted something as teens we had to find a job and work for it. I bought all my own shoes and dresses for high school, waitressing and baby sitting. As far as healthy meals, we did have one a day, the other two meals were whatever you could make or pick up on your own. We were all reed thin and small, my one sister is 5ft6, my brothers are average height and my youngest sister and I are petite, under 5ft4. I believe we can figure out how tall we will be just from taking a look at your parents, of course there is always the exception. We certainly did not have the educational advantages the kids have today. I figure we were pretty smart naturally, because the teachers really did not do much teaching. No lesson plans, just taught us math from the examples in the book. I could go on, but I won't.

Respected Contributor

The 1950s were truly the Golden Era and sadly we will never see society return to those days. It all changed after the Vietnam War. Inflation hit, women were forced to work and children were not cared for adequately. Todays economy requires a dual income household. Everyone is now glued to technology 24/7.  I know many of us pine for the 50s and 60s but we have no choice but to march forward with time. I do fear for many of the children born today.