Super Contributor

Why can't/doesn't she just use tampons?

Esteemed Contributor
CVS just launched an all cotton store brand.
Trusted Contributor

I'd imagine you may find "organic" or "all natural" pads very expensive. You might want to try a couple of major brands to see if your daughter can tolerate them. Maybe you can buy just a small package to try or borrow a couple from a friend.

Like your daughter, my daughters also found the very plastic-y Always pads irritating, but did much better with the softer materials used in Stayfree and Kotex brands. Don't know if they're all natural, but they were not irritating. Some pads contain deodorants or scents, too, and some women find those irritating. Something else to think about.

Trusted Contributor
On 12/28/2014 Plaid Pants said:

Why can't/doesn't she just use tampons?

Some women find tampons uncomfortable, are worried about the possibility of "toxic shock syndrome", or wear a pad for backup protection.

Honored Contributor

Here is the description under Seventh Generation's products:

Ingredients: Our pads are made of a combination of absorbent materials, polyolefins, adhesives, and a silicone-coated paper. The top layer is a non-woven polyolefin cover sheet. The absorbent materials consist of chlorine free wood pulp, and Lysorb, an absorbent gel. Lysorb, also known as SNAP (super absorbent natural polymer), is a polysaccharide derived from wheat. Polysaccharides are complex sugars found in many natural substances, like the fibers of cotton, wood, and wheat. The removable peel strip is whitened with a chlorine-containing substance.

I don't know if that would work for you or not.

As an alternate, I have found the ones in machines and from hospitals/nurses to be very bulky and cottony. I think this is the brand:

You might want to find a retailer and look at the ingredients list.

Respected Contributor
My GYN told me about cloth ones you can buy at stores like Whole Foods.
Valued Contributor

I think skin reactions and irritations from today's sanitary products are getting somewhat common. Not only because of the plastic, but from the chemicals and other materials they are made of. They used to be made of natural cotton, without other chemicals added.

Honored Contributor
Trusted Contributor

As others mentioned Kotex is not plastic coated. Stayfree isn't either but I couldn't find a Stayfree pad that wasn't scented. Maybe just where I shopped. The CVS one someone mentioned sounds promising. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

I've been hearing that these plastic ones aren't good for you whether you have a reaction or not. I hate when they force things on us.

I'm glad you brought this up, as I'm going to search for some natural ones myself.