Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone here have "Paper Skin"? Warning, a little graphic!

On 4/17/2014 spend4zen said:

First I would seek medical advice before doing anything..I do know that thinning hair and thin skin can be from a lack of folic acids..these can be lost from aging, smoking and poor diet..the answer is taking a folic acid supplement as long as its ok with Your doctor..also helpful to the skin is biotin and and vitamin E.

First I just wanted to re-emphasize that I am seeking medical advice for this and different tests are being done.

Secondly, I am not now or ever have been on any type of steroids which I do know can cause this to happen. The meds I am on are not suppose to cause this, but of course who knows.

I also think this might be hereditary, but just to be on the safe side I wanted to make sure if that was the case. Just had a bunch of blood work done yesterday and am awaiting the results from that.

I will most certainly let you all know if I find out anything that might be causing this that hasn't already been mentioned. Thank you all for your replies on this.

Have a great day

VickiSmile

Honored Contributor

I have a problem with very thin skin and easy bruising. When I really get going with my yard work, I look like I've been beaten. I think it's mostly age-related as my mother had the same thing. I discussed it with my doctor who called the geriatric department at the UNM. They suggested using an estrogen cream daily. We decided that wasn't a good thing for me so I just grin and bear it. Wear long sleeves for gardening.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, and it happened to me overnight, too. Let me know if you see an endocrinologist and if you get a diagnosis. I suddenly lost all the hair on my arms, hands, legs, feet. No hair at all, even when looking with 10X magnification. Skin also looks crinkled, as if you scrunch up plastic wrap.

I had severe Vitamin Deficiency with a reading of 6. Let me know if you have your D checked, too.
Super Contributor

I am 61 and have that too. I don't even have to hit my skin on anything, I will just have what looks like bleeding under the skin (not a bruise but actual blood). Some are little dots and some will be the size of my fingertip. They will last about a week or so and go away. I also bruise very easily. If I scratch myself too hard or hit something, my skin will peel away too and bleed like crazy. I am under a doctor's care and have been diagnosed with low Vitamin D but no one has mentioned to me that is connected.

Honored Contributor

Wow, never heard of this. I wonder if WebMD on line would have something on this. I mean just for us to read. Glad you all are with doctors on this.

Super Contributor

I did read on WebMD that this could be Petechiae and does require medical attention as your body may not be producing platelets. I have another appointment the first of June and I will certainly ask that my platelets be checked and ask about this particular symptom.

Honored Contributor

Medicines can cause this and often we would warn patients to be careful of it.

Respected Contributor

My mom had this in her last years, but she was in her 90's. She took a lot of aspirin & bruised at the least little touch, but the issues with her skin being so thin, her Dr. said was just age related.

The Dr. gave me some burn dressings to cut to size & use at home on the smaller wounds, with gauze, because she was allergic to tape. The dressings were like a glossy foam/gel stuff & helped with the healing.

The merest touch would cause her skin to peel back & often she didn't even notice she'd done anything until she looked down & noticed that she was bleeding. You might get some of those burn dressings to have on hand.

Super Contributor

I see more have posted to my thread and I am really surprised at how many others are having these issues. I have not re-posted anything because I am still learning about these issues from my dr. On the test results, I did show low Vit. D, Magnesium and Potassium. I am now taking supplements for the low numbers, but am not sure if they could be the cause. I must say though in the last week I have noticed less bruising and blood pooling under my skin and have not had any new tears, so maybe the supplements are doing it.

Thank you all so much for responding to my thread. It's always good to see what others might be doing for the same issue.

VickiSmile

Honored Contributor

I knew there would be low D. When this happened I spent a long time researching. I have always bruised easily, but the thin skin was seemingly overnight-much too quick. Please let me know the outcome. Thanks, Vicki.