Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have side effects from thyroid meds?

Well I said I'd never heard of them.  The only Thyroid medication I know if is the one 3 Drs in my family prescribe and the people I've met say they take Synthroid.

I hope you are able to find one that works for you and are able to stay with it.

Respected Contributor

I cant take Armour-just doesnt work. I prefer Synthroid and am on Levothyroxine.

I am going to ask my MD to back onto Synthroid.

Honored Contributor

@cherry, Thyroid problems run on my mother's side of the family, my mother, my sister, and myself, plus two aunts (mother's sisters) all have thyroid problems!  When I was first diagnosed I had hyper, and had the radio-active thyroid pill to reduce my thyroid, but it took too much and I am now hypo!  It took about a year for my Dr. to get my levels regulated when Synthroid and I have my levels checked regularly.  I now take the generic for Synthroid (Thyroxine) and have not had any problems with the medication, just adjusting my levels, which I had to do in Oct.  I have been taking meds for over 20 yrs. and will for the rest of my life!  I once asked my Dr. about armour thyroid and she said I was not a candidate for that drug!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the synthetic thyroid hormone replacement is exacting in its dosage, whereas the natural hormone does have minor fluctuations due to the age and condition of the animal it's extracted from. I believe it's also more fragile when exposed to a wide range of temperatures and humidity, and has a shorter shelf life.

To my knowledge, hypothyroidism is always treated with a synthetic hormone replacement unless the patient cannot tolerate it. That's the only time a natural hormone is still used because it is not the first choice.
Esteemed Contributor

It use to be synthroid but the insurance company I think didn't want to pay the price so I take levothyrozine. I took a blood test last year and my thyroid is high. No effects less high is one.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

It use to be synthroid but the insurance company I think didn't want to pay the price so I take levothyrozine. I took a blood test last year and my thyroid is high. No effects less high is one.

@halfpint1, same for me, as far as insurance not paying for synthroid! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty, hyperthyroid patients are no longer exposed to radiation to lower thyroid levels.
Instead, they surgically remove a portion of the thyroid to intentionally make you HYPOthroyd, which is a condition they can easily treat by prescribing a synthetic hormone replacement.
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  Thanks I didn't know that. It might be that I got a stronger batch in some of my pills

I wish I could take Synthroid, its cheaper .

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry , my sister started out with Armour decades ago. I'm not even sure a synthetic was available back then. But I know she takes Synthroid now and tolerates it well. She had a lot of trouble with the minor variances in the Armor.
( my sister's thyroid was "therapeutically" bombarded with radiation back in the fifties, before they fully understood the effect.)
Honored Contributor

@x Hedge  thanks. I will just give it a bit longer, and see if the symptoms  go away