Honored Contributor

I had a Dexa Scan on Monday, and today I got a message from my PCP that I have osteoporosis in my hip and that the osteopenia in my back has worsened.  I've been getting Dexa Scans every two years for a while now.  It showed I had osteopenia quite a while ago, and my doctor at that time (I have a different one now) wanted me to start on Fosamax.  I did, and it made me ache so badly that I quit taking it.  I also read that it really wasn't necessary or recommended for osteopenia.  After that first dexa scan that showed osteopenia, all other dexa scans have shown improvement until this one.

Things are different now with the osteoporosis diagnosis, and I feel like I should take something.  My doctor wants me to come in and discuss it with her, and I'll make an appt. tomorrow.  I've been reading on web md and the Mayo Clinic websites about the different options.  I don't want to try Fosamax again, and I'm leary of the annual shots in case I had bad side effects they might not go away for a year.  I'm thinking Actonel may be what I want to take monthly.  

Does anyone take a medicine for osteoporosis?  Which one, and do you have side effects?  I'm pretty upset over this diagnosis.  I never thought my osteopenia would turn into osteoporosis.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I had a Dexa Scan on Monday, and today I got a message from my PCP that I have osteoporosis in my hip and that the osteopenia in my back has worsened.  I've been getting Dexa Scans every two years for a while now.  It showed I had osteopenia quite a while ago, and my doctor at that time (I have a different one now) wanted me to start on Fosamax.  I did, and it made me ache so badly that I quit taking it.  I also read that it really wasn't necessary or recommended for osteopenia.  After that first dexa scan that showed osteopenia, all other dexa scans have shown improvement until this one.

Things are different now with the osteoporosis diagnosis, and I feel like I should take something.  My doctor wants me to come in and discuss it with her, and I'll make an appt. tomorrow.  I've been reading on web md and the Mayo Clinic websites about the different options.  I don't want to try Fosamax again, and I'm leary of the annual shots in case I had bad side effects they might not go away for a year.  I'm thinking Actonel may be what I want to take monthly.  

Does anyone take a medicine for osteoporosis?  Which one, and do you have side effects?  I'm pretty upset over this diagnosis.  I never thought my osteopenia would turn into osteoporosis.

@NickNack Do your research.  Don't let them do a fusion.  start with pills because if you have a reaction, you could end up in a wheelchair.  You can stop the pills,but once infusion is in you , you are stuck.  

I had terrible joint pain when I took any of that stuff.  It is also very hard on stomach.  I was told 15 years ago that I had the bones on an 85 year old.  I think the Dr's are nuts and this is another money maker for them.  I have fallen out of a tree, fallen down from the attic steps and never had a break.  I won't even go for the scans, because of the horrible experience I had on the pills.   

Everyone has to make this decision for themselves.  Good Luck! If you have any joint pain on them STOP them immediately. I am very athletic with my dance backround.  I walk everyday and do a lot of yard work.  I take classes (Zumba) and I have no problems. When I took the pills, I got so bad , I could hardly step onto the floor without severe pain.  My family Dr sent me to ortho Dr. He said my cartilage was screwed up.  I talked to my pharmacist and she told me it was the bone meds.  I stopped them and am pain free.   

Valued Contributor

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis also, about a year ago.  The NP prescribed Fosamax, but I never picked up the prescription. Many of my friends told me about the side effects they had with Fosamax, and cautioned me about taking it.  I take a Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc supplement now.  I agree - that you should do more research.   Let us know what you decide.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis Diagnosis

[ Edited ]

@Carol08 @NickNack  My dentist is totally against them because they can really screw up your jaw if you need extraction.  

My neighbor had the reclast infusion last year and it almost killed him!   

Honored Contributor

I cocktail daily, calcium, Vit D3, Magnesium and Vit K1 and K2.

Trusted Contributor

Agree...big $$$ maker for docs....I seem to recall a dire diagnosis many years ago with fosomax prescribed.  I refused to take fosomax as my mother had terrible side effects with it with no benefit.  I exercise every day and stay active.  Excellent diet.  Never had a problem with any bone issue since then.

Occasional Contributor

I tried taking Actonel when I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis. After taking it for a few months, i had muscle aches. The doctor then put me on Prolia, the injection which I take twice a year. I have had no side effects at all. I have been taking it for about two years now, and at my bone scan in December, my numbers were down enough to be classified as osteopenia so I've been pleased with it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the info @BalletBabe.  Your experience is very interesting.  I wouldn't let them do the fusion.  I'd be scared to death I'd be stuck with side effects for a year.  Maybe trying the weekly pills instead of the monthly pills would be better to start.  I will give the pills another try, but I won't feel so bad if I have to stop them after hearing about your experience.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis also, about a year ago.  The NP prescribed Fosamax, but I never picked up the prescription. Many of my friends told me about the side effects they had with Fosamax, and cautioned me about taking it.  I take a Calcium, Magnesium & Zinc supplement now.  I agree - that you should do more research.   Let us know what you decide.  

Thanks for your feedback @Carol08.  I do take calcium, magnesium and zinc now, but I will continue doing my research.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@econoshopper wrote:

I tried taking Actonel when I was first diagnosed with osteoporosis. After taking it for a few months, i had muscle aches. The doctor then put me on Prolia, the injection which I take twice a year. I have had no side effects at all. I have been taking it for about two years now, and at my bone scan in December, my numbers were down enough to be classified as osteopenia so I've been pleased with it.

That's interesting about the Prolia @econoshopper.  My father gets Prolia injections for something else.  I read a little bit about it earlier, but will look it up again.

-Henry David Thoreau