Super Contributor

Re: Does Anything OTC Work on Toe Nail Fungus

Vicks Vaporub.  Never had this issue, but heard of this as a treatment.  Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop   I had toe fungus on my right big toe.  Went to my PCP.  He prescribed some type of "gel" polish (that was expensive).  Used it for quite a while.  It did NOTHING!

Looked on  You Tube.  A podiatrist had a video suggesting a # of things I could do (like washing the area thoroughly every day in the shower).  He also recommended an epsom salt product especially meant for the toe fungus. I found it on Amazon, soaked my toe in it 2X a day for a week and the problem was completely resolved, never to return!

I mentioned my experience to my PCP and he said he'd remember it for any future patients he has who suffer from toe fungus!

Honored Contributor

Tea tree oil.

Also comes in brush-on form; check Amazon for ratings and reviews.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spumoni99 wrote:

My husband sees a podiatrist every three weeks, he has a chronic issue with his toe.  He also has fungus and they pretty much tell us he is stuck with it.  He has had some luck wih OTC medicine though.  I am not sure if they are saying that because of his other issues they don't want to treat it aggressively, he is prone to an infection in his toe and gets it treated and the dead skin cleaned off etc.  Sorry that is gross also.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is dealing with a difficult nail problem.

I had a nurse tell me the same thing about nail fungus--that once we have it, that's pretty much it.

I know we're talking about difficult toe issues that can get kind of icky, but I've had toenails literally fall off due to fungus, and some of the new ones grew back with issues where they were really brittle.

I think that it can get really embedded.

There are different home remedies that some have already recommended. 

Trusted Contributor

@feline groovy   YES, the epsom salt toe fungus product the YouTube podiatrist recommended contained Tea Tree Oil!!  It worked!

Honored Contributor

@Tallgal    I do not have an answer for you and dont' know if you polish your toe nails, but my poditrist told me to remove my tonenail polish weekly and leave toenails unpainted for 1-2 days/week, to help prevent fungus.

Honored Contributor

That's great, @pdlinda .  8)

Esteemed Contributor

@Coastalcarolina wrote:

Vicks Vaporub.  Never had this issue, but heard of this as a treatment.  Good luck.

@Tallgal  Per @Coastalcarolina  My DH used Vicks as well, and it worked. His podiatrist suggested it.

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Coastalcarolina wrote:

@Tallgal  Per @Coastalcarolina  My DH used Vicks as well, and it worked. His podiatrist suggested it.

@PA Mom-mom 

I will pass this on to a friend who is having an issue with nail fungus. Her doc said the oral medications do damage to the liver. The active ingredients in Vicks VapoRub are camphor, eucalyptus oil andmenthol...so it also makes sense tea tree oil might work. Worth a try.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

@Tallgal 

Go to your medical MD.  There is a prescription if you want to knock it out for good.  No alcohol while on this med. is required.

OTC just is like trying to see in the dark.