Super Contributor

Does Anything OTC Work on Toe Nail Fungus

Hi all,  not trying to gross anyone out.   Question for all of you,  Does anything OTC work for toe nail fungus?   Or am I better off going to a podiatrist?   Thanks for the responses and have a great weekend!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anything OTC Work on Toe Nail Fungus

🤔 Here's a wild, crazy, random thought ......

Ask the pharmacist !

Respected Contributor

My husband sees a podiatrist every three weeks, he has a chronic issue with his toe.  He also has fungus and they pretty much tell us he is stuck with it.  He has had some luck wih OTC medicine though.  I am not sure if they are saying that because of his other issues they don't want to treat it aggressively, he is prone to an infection in his toe and gets it treated and the dead skin cleaned off etc.  Sorry that is gross also.

Trusted Contributor

I used Emuaid to successfully remove toenail fungus on a few of my toes.  If I had used it consistently it would have taken less than the 3 months it took, but it worked.  It's available on Amazon and its own website.

Honored Contributor

My daughter saw a podiatrist, he put her on Lamisil, it can have side effects but she was fine it and it cured her fungus.  You can also get laser treatments which are very costly. 

Honored Contributor

@Tallgal 

I am a big fan of using borax for many things. It seems to cure yeast and fungal for me.

'One can use borax dissolved in water and also one can take boron internally...Liquid Ionic boron by Trace Minerals is available thru Amazon.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

💅 👣 Got any polish?

Honored Contributor

@Tallgal 

Providers at the VA suggest soaking feet in a solution of 2 cups epsom salt and 1 cup apple cider or white vinegar for at least 15-20 minutes, 2x a day for toenail fungus.  

If you Google epsom salts for toenail fungus, you will find multiple recipes for this foot soak.  This is a cheap alternative and does work.  

Best wishes to you!

Super Contributor

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions!   All of you are the best!

Honored Contributor

I got toe nail fungus on my left big toe.

And now that I am retired, I wear mostly sandals in the warm weather. And since I am no longer wearing enclosed shoes, pantyhose or socks, everyday, all day. The toe is now normal again.

It took awhile for it to grow out. But I just kept clipping the toe nail and the nail is now looking good.

Someone had told me to put Vicks Vapo Rub on the fungus toe nail. And I did for a few days. Not sure if it helped.