Regular Contributor

Do you have Congestive Heart Failure & a combo defif/pace maker also?

I'm getting a little upset over my latest report from the CHF gals at our local heart place, and I'm wondering if there's anyone out there besides me with maybe some of the concerns that I have. I've had my little black box in my chest for exactly 4 years now and have been doing just really really great. You'd never know I had anything wrong with me!! I had both valves replaced at that time and a re-do of a double by-pass that was failing which was done in 1996. The CHF is from a medically induced heart attack by an inefficient young Dr. in CA in 1996, who then didn't give me the drugs they give people who have heart attacks so it will minimize heart damage. I have (or had) 1/3 of my heart good, 1/3 weak, and 1/3 dead from that big attack.

Once a month the CHF gals do a remote test on me and mail me the graphs, etc. It shows that I retain fluid for a few days in mid month and my heart rate seems to be good except for a time or two it spiked big time. But I never knew that. I just turned 77, and like I said, I've been feeling just wonderful except that about 6 weeks ago I started feeling yucky and blah and it lasted for about 10 days to 2 weeks. Then I'm fine again and am busy as all get out, except that I notice the stairs have me dragging a little more. This new graph shows I'm retaining fluids now for several days. I'm wondering if any of you have this problem and how you are handling it mentally.

Super Contributor

Re: Do you have Congestive Heart Failure & a combo defif/pace maker also?

I don't have CHF, my mother did. I think sometimes people can get too much information, and this is one of those times.

When you felt bad recently, it was probably a passing virus and it seems you've recovered fairly well.

The charts, while helpful, also seem to cause you some stress, which also isn't good for your condition.

Is the fluid retention mid-month affecting your ability to do the things you want to do? When was the last time you had a check-up (not this remote monitoring)? If it's been a few months, I would make an appointment to discuss the fluid retention and the fact that you are finding the stairs a little bit more challenging.

Your pacemaker is taking care of any out-of-range heartbeat issues, so if knowing you are having spikes the pacemaker is dealing with upsets you, it may be time to just have the reports directly mailed to your doctor instead.

Honored Contributor

On 5/16/2014 pistolino said:

I don't have CHF, my mother did. I think sometimes people can get too much information, and this is one of those times.

When you felt bad recently, it was probably a passing virus and it seems you've recovered fairly well.

The charts, while helpful, also seem to cause you some stress, which also isn't good for your condition.

Is the fluid retention mid-month affecting your ability to do the things you want to do? When was the last time you had a check-up (not this remote monitoring)? If it's been a few months, I would make an appointment to discuss the fluid retention and the fact that you are finding the stairs a little bit more challenging.

Your pacemaker is taking care of any out-of-range heartbeat issues, so if knowing you are having spikes the pacemaker is dealing with upsets you, it may be time to just have the reports directly mailed to your doctor instead.

That sounds very wise.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds as if you may need a medication adjustment, bloodwork and possibly testing to determine your current EF, (ejection fraction). Are the heart rates 'spikes' just tachycardia or irregular beats? Sounds as if you need to see your cardiologist.

Honored Contributor

I don't have your issues, but I want to say I think your attitude toward your circumstances is top notch. Please continue to question and learn and stay up on cutting edge research. Hope you're doing the BEST things you can in terms of nutrition, exercise, sleep and FUN.
Honored Contributor

I'm 69 and have had a pacemaker for 22 years, I'm on my third one. I also have premature ventricular contractions, which evidently are no big deal. I show the irregular spikes of missed or extra beats you talk about. I'm pretty much of the mind that this hasn't killed me yet, so I appreciate every day to the fullest.

Contributor

I hope you are feeling better. My thoughts are from a spouse's view. My husband lived with CHF and a defib since his mid 20's. He received the gift of life from a gracious donor 4yrs ago. Trust your gut instinct! You know your body the best and know what is not "normal" for you. Dr's only know what a "report" says. Reports are just part of the big picture. I am going to assume that your monthly remote tests are your defib/pacemaker stats. A large part of your heart health status is your ejection fraction. My advice, If you've been feeling like crud call your heart failure clinic/cardiologist and make an appointment. When making the appointment be very clear and detailed about your symptoms. If you need to be pushy, push as hard as you need to get the appointment as soon as possible. Since you decided to post your question on this board, I'd say you are concerned about how you are feeling. It would be best if you went to the Dr's. At the very least, your mind would be put at ease after several tests to see what is really is going on with your CHF. My other 2 cent advice... If your cardiologist kinda brushes you off with 'this is normal for a person living with CHF blah, blah and your gut says whatever is going on is not "normal" for you... find another cardiologist.