Respected Contributor

Saw my opthamologist the other day. Right now my eyes are so bad I can't see to stitch and I asked him if there's anything he can do to make them better. In short...no.

I have a ton of cross stitch supplies: patterns, floss and containers for it, scissors, marking pens, fabric. I might as well give it away because it's been laying around for a few years and I can't use any of it.

I'm going to contact some women's shelters (if I can find one) and offer to donate all this stuff and I think there might be some convents around here too. If anyone has any ideas about who else might like this stuff, let me know.

One thing I feel really sad about is that I have a design made especially for me--I think it's called The French Alphabet Sampler. It cost about $100-$200 and has the names of family and friends and even my cats (who have since died, as well as a deceased brother-in-law). It's only about 25% done and now I can never finish it.

I think I might go for a second opinion about my eyes but I'm not opimistic.

Respected Contributor

Lit Magnifiers. They even makes one that can attach to the scrolls.

Respected Contributor

I would definetely get a second opinion.  I also agree that some kind of magnifier may possibly help?

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry, @GoneButNotForgotten . Is it because your close-up vision has deteriorated as you've grown older that embroidery is no longer fun? 

I stopped doing cross-stitch in my early forties because I could no longer see well enough to do those tiny stitches even with reading glasses. I tried using a magnifying lamp, the sort that will clamp onto a craft table or stitching frame, but I could never get used to it. I do know stitchers however that have found them invaluable and they were able to keep stitching as they grew older. 

I unfortunately have no suggestions for organizations to donate cross-stitch supplies to. Maybe advertise them as free on the neighborhood social-media platform Nextdoor? 

I also have a sampler that's been sitting around for years only about 25 percent finished. 

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Saw my opthamologist the other day. Right now my eyes are so bad I can't see to stitch and I asked him if there's anything he can do to make them better. In short...no.

I have a ton of cross stitch supplies: patterns, floss and containers for it, scissors, marking pens, fabric. I might as well give it away because it's been laying around for a few years and I can't use any of it.

I'm going to contact some women's shelters (if I can find one) and offer to donate all this stuff and I think there might be some convents around here too. If anyone has any ideas about who else might like this stuff, let me know.

One thing I feel really sad about is that I have a design made especially for me--I think it's called The French Alphabet Sampler. It cost about $100-$200 and has the names of family and friends and even my cats (who have since died, as well as a deceased brother-in-law). It's only about 25% done and now I can never finish it.

I think I might go for a second opinion about my eyes but I'm not opimistic.

@GoneButNotForgotten 

What?  I don't know what exactly is causing your problems, but these are your EYES we're talking about ... and your quality of life.

Don't give up so easily.

If it were me, I'd get a second and third opinion .... and maybe a fourth opinion.  

Honored Contributor

If you have a Sr. Center, and they have any ladies there who do sewing of any kind, they may welcome that.  Sorry to hear about your eyesight, but  don't lose hope, you may hear or meet someone who can offer another way for you. Best of luck on that. 

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten , I brought cross stitch I could no longer do to a local needlework shop. There are people willing to complete your project. There is a fee but worth the cost to have piece completed. Check there may be someone locally that would finish your piece for you;

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten   Sorry about your eye health.  

Have you considered a floor model magnified lamp?

It's worth looking into even if you use it only to start and complete the family sampler that you have.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten.  Contact your state agency or commission for the blind.  All states have them.  They have information on all sorts of aids for performing tasks, and new ones are always coming on the market.   Both of my parents became legally blind due to macular degeneration, and used several devices from their store.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I'm so sorry that you got this diagnosis. As a fellow stitcher I sympathize.

You might check your city's FB page and ask for suggestions as to where to donate your supplies. I would bet you would get a lot of good ideas from that.