Trusted Contributor

@FLGranny wrote:

Well, I want to thank all of you that responded. My biggest problem is self control and I think if I was forced to be accountable for my food choices and exercise maybe I could stick to it better. Cost is kind of a factor, too. I’ve seen how much some of these programs are. I like the idea of that free app that can guide me as far as calories go. I guess I’ll try that first and see if I can stick with it. Thanks again and wish me luck!! I’ll keep you posted!!

@FLGranny I would try the WW digital that QVC has. It's pretty cheap for three months and when you cancel they will probably offer you a fourth for free. They did when I first signed up. Then you can use their plan and also track on something like My Fitness an then you'll have a record of what worked. I found when I used My Fitness Pal alone I was ok on calories but it still wan't working for me. Probably because they weren't good calories.

If you do sign up for WW I'd also recommend eating as you normally would on the first day and track it and see where you're points are compared to what they give you. It will give you an idea of stuff you really want to keep eating and where you can adjust to let that happen.

Esteemed Contributor

Whatever you choose to do it needs to be a lifestyle change.  There are programs that may give you short term results, some will teach you techniques, etc.  No one way works for everyone.  It is often also a process.  Set your goals.  If it is a will power issue something like weight watchers may be for you.  You can learn about portion control, have a support group and accountability.  There are many other ways of eating that may help but change takes will power. Need to see it through whatever you choose, good luck.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@FLGranny 

Have you considered 'intermittent fasting' instead of those pre made meals types of diet plans?

There may be some health issues that this may not be good for, so check with your Dr.before starting.

This link will explain how it works. I've been doing this for years and I'm 66 years old, 5'3" and weigh 110 lbs. and I don't exercise, per se.

Of course, no diet plan works for everyone, but you may want to check it out, vs. spending lots of money on prepared diet foods, that many say are unsatisfying and that once they stopped using the food, they regained the weight.

Google reviews on each diet plan you may be interested in.

Intermittent Fasting 101 link:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

Know not every diet is for everyone but I found one that worked for me.

I never was good in losing weight

I am a senior (65+++++)was hearing so much about Intermittent Fasting on TV and online  even a shopping channel, so did a lot of research. Started March 2019 gave it a try with the 16-8 that means for 16 hours fasting with only black coffee no dairy in coffee,  but wasn't happy with black coffee needed something to add to it learned a lot of people were using  keto/mct  powders in coffee and that saved me,and drank plenty of water with True lemon or orange packets as not a fan of plain  water. 16 hours sound unbelievable but remember your eating is  from noon to 8 P.M. just make sure you eat healthy and not eating the whole 8 hours,then stop eating 8 PM ,then you are fasting but you are  sleeping that helps the fasting period.

Honest it was a challenge in the beginning but now some days, see I can go like a 20/4 and have no cravings not hungry at all.

Almost a year later down 38 pounds and lots and lots of inches ,that is a miracle for this senior, just had to learn a new technique of when to eat and when to stop eating .Never to old to learn new things .

Valued Contributor

I really think the best way to lose weight is by cutting calories.  Just eat what you like, but less of it.   No need to pay for special "diet" food filled with chemicals, too much salt and other things you don't want to be consuming.  You won't feel deprived, but will still get pounds off.

Honored Contributor

Eat less, exercise more/counting calories.....doesn't work (archaic incorrect information).  Weight management programs....not the solution. Lots of solid evidence that these methods don't work.  Diets don't work.....lifestyle changes do.  The kind of calories you eat are critical. Processed foods and saturated fat are unhealthy.

Watch the 2020 videos from The Real Truth About Health conference (well known highly respected doctors...world renown surgeons/researchers not charlatans). The information is free and no one is pushing a product, only critical information. I just finished the series and they will be up on You Tube for a few weeks.   The doctors show the science behind what they are saying.  You will gain a lot of information that will assist you in making the lifestyle changes necessary to live a healthy vibrant life.  Not necessary to spend a lot of money on your lifestyle to be at your desired weight.  Wishing you the best, invest in yourself and learn what works long-term to live a fulfilled life. 

Just offering MHO, with lots of science and evidence over many years regarding the well-known scientists/mds in this series.  Doctors and nutritionists are rarely trained in the up to date science on weight loss.  Some Kaiser facilities, fortunately, are beginning to get on board.  Unfortunately the current latest trendy diet (actually nothing new about it) will result in short term success and long term cardiovascular challenges.

Honored Contributor

Find a nutritionist that will work with your food preferences and stop dieting. Diets don't work. If you are eating a lot of food that you despise, no matter how healthy it is, you won't stay on an eating plan long term.

And whatever you do, stay away from YouTube charlatans pushing and promoting their orthorexic diets. They proliferate on the internet and watch for them when they omit whole food groups. A lot of these doctors have resorts where you can stay and they make all kinds of money off their "patients."

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Find a nutritionist that will work with your food preferences and stop dieting. Diets don't work. If you are eating a lot of food that you despise, no matter how healthy it is, you won't stay on an eating plan long term.

And whatever you do, stay away from YouTube charlatans pushing and promoting their orthorexic diets. They proliferate on the internet and watch for them when they omit whole food groups. A lot of these doctors have resorts where you can stay and they make all kinds of money off their "patients."

Excellent post, @Trinity11.  I looked up orthorexic just to be sure I understood the word's meaning.  It's spot on.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY : Congratulations on your success. Researching your information. Very confused about the keto/mtc powder- reviews mixed on taste and clumps. I have really bad cravings and would love to get off of the food and sugar cravings circle. Are you willing to share more detail or examples and product you use for the keto/ mtc powder. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY   Love IF...easy once it is a habit.  I know that what I eat is more important than when I eat....but autophagy just gives you an extra boost  and you are not continually spiking insulin.

Respected Contributor

All I know is sugar & salt is bad cut it down plus any sweet drinks, drink water add fiber but don't deprive yourself. I go out to eat & bring half of it home. I like fries & a burger but do I eat all of it no. If I counted all calories I would go insane, plus eating salads & not having the food I like no way. I clean my house & walk costco or the mall that is my gym membership. It works for me but maybe some people are different. Good luck it's not a diet it's a lifestyle.