Respected Contributor

Weight Loss after Knee Replacement

Has anyone else sustained significant weight loss after your knee replacement?  My family became very concerned about me losing weight. My daughter was very worried and it started me being concerned that something else was going on. My son kept saying "are you ok?" I told them I felt fine and I figured it was because I was going to PT twice a week post surgery and not eating as much. I saw my PCP for my annual Type 2 diabetes checkup and told him about my families concerns. After my visit including bloodwork, everything was fine and he agreed it was just diet and exercise. Thank goodness !  Now I've lost about 12 lbs and motivated to lose a few more which is a good thing for diabetics.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Weight Loss after Knee Replacement

@Goodie2shoes   Yes, I lost weight after my knee surgery also.  I was worried I would gain because I wasn't able to be as physical as normal, but your body uses up so many calories trying to heal itself that you lose weight.    I remember back to my first shower after coming home from surgery.  The walk in shower is easier to use and it is on the 3rd floor of the house.  By the time I got up there and showered I was exhausted and had to sit down before drying off and getting dressed.  So you are really expending more calories than you can eat.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weight Loss after Knee Replacement

Would guess you are much more active than before the surgery, so I can see that happening.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.