Honored Contributor

@tishkinswrote:

My daughter has just been diagnosed and it was a shock to her and family. She is slightly overweight. Her doctor out her on meds and her levels have come down although there are days when it can be higher than the day before ( they are good for s someone who has just been told!).  We are on a eating plan for the three meals and snacks . Can any one give some pointers because sometimes it's a dawting chore to make sure at e very meal you have a carb,fat protein and fruit.  My daughter says let's not stress about the three food groups let's concentrate on eating healthy. She has lost in a week 3 pounds which makes her upbeat. I like her thinking. What are your thoughts. Thanks

"eating healthy" for one will not work for another.

It's important to pair the fruit with a protein.    Those 3 food groups are important, you can quantify what she needs to eat.    You can't quantify "healthy eating".

Please encourage her to work with a  nutritionist and follow the advice of several small "meals" during the day.    There's actually a science to this.

The "diabetic diet" is one of the best diets for anyone to follow.   It's just good advice and offers a good variety of foods & snacks to eat.

I am not diabetic, there are diabetics in my family.   I have other diagnoses.    Your daughter may do well with home-made smoothies for her snack.   Very easy to make and you can adjust it to her taste.  Very satisfying.    I would steer her away from processed food of any kind.