Respected Contributor

Do all/most offices use the Ultrasonic method for teeth cleaning?

The new office that I went to used this and my teeth and face are so sore. Dentist said "I recommend a couple of ibuprofen when you get home." I can understand why.  I have never had such a face ache after the old fashioned scrape and grind technique.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dental Hygienist question?

[ Edited ]

No, not all. I was told by my hygienist that the ultrasonic cleanser is faster, and it's more appropriate for patients with coffee staining etc. I asked for the regular prophylaxis cup and pumice, Rather than the ultrasonic. I have had it in the past, and it caused gum recession on my upper teeth. I also wear braces now and brush and floss several times a day, so I have virtually no staining or plaque. I refuse to have the ultrasonic cleaner as it feels like a sand blaster on my teeth and gums. To each his own though, my husband loves it.

Honored Contributor

I just had my dental cleaning today....normal cleaning...no Ultrasonic at my office.....guess I should be happy.  Hope you feel better soon.  

Respected Contributor

Interesting. I just had my teeth cleaned last week and I prefer and ask for the ultrasonic method each time. Otherwise, I think they would just come at me with the scraper and we could be at it for awhile. Ha! 

Trusted Contributor

I've never heard of this way of cleaning teeth before. My hygienist cleans teeth the regular way. 

Honored Contributor

Mine has used ultrasonic for the past several years. I have to be numbed before they do it. I can't stand the pain.

Honored Contributor

@walker wrote:

I just had my dental cleaning today....normal cleaning...no Ultrasonic at my office.....guess I should be happy.  Hope you feel better soon.  

@walker 

It's for heavy stains too.  Coffee, tea.  If a whitening toothpaste is used it helps.

Respected Contributor

The pre-covid hygienist at my general dentist's office used ultrasonic cleaning and I hated it. Sometimes she'd hit a nerve that would cause my body to flinch. It was always, "sorry".I dreaded have my teeth cleaned.

The hygienist at my endodentist's office did her cleanings manually, and I never had a problem.

Just last week I returned to my general dentist and found there was a new hygienist and lucky for me, no ultrasound.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had ultra method for decades - and prefer it.    No pain - it's fast and so much easier on the hygenist's hand.

Honored Contributor

My last cleaning my hygienist used a combination of ultra sonic and regular hand scaling...she always does both. It never bothers me. I have some gum sensitivity after any cleaning for about a day...no big deal.