Super Contributor

Anyone had this.  Left wrist, lots of pain.  Took a shot two weeks ago of cortisone and go back Monday.  After shot for a few days no pain, pain came back after two weeks when I cooked dinner.  No pain again!  

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Yes I had this in both hands in 2008 after giving birth to my son. I was being treated at the hand Center in Philadelphia. I had a few shot of cortisone which worked but the pain would come back. Since you are only allowed to receive a certain amount of cortisone shots I then had braces made for my hands/wrists but I wouldn't keep them on b/c I was afraid I would injure my son trying to pick him up with the braces on (they were made of a hard plastic). My doctor at the time referred to it as "mommy thumbs" because he sees a lot of new moms with this. Mine was caused by the hormones from my pregnancy. It was very very painful. I used to cry at night b/c I couldn't pick up my baby due to the pain. It eventually went away after a few months.

Esteemed Contributor

I was diagnosed with this many years ago after presenting with severe wrist and thumb pain. my doctor advised me to wear a wrist splint when needed during the day but also to sleep with the splint on. I did that for a few weeks and it did help.

the thing he advised that has helped the most was to take astaxanthin and resveritrol daily. I have taken both every day for 15 years and for the most part, it has kept my pain in remission. I still have occasional episodes of acute pain but that usually only lasts a day or so.

both astaxanthin and resveritrol have natural anti-inflammatory properties and have made a huge difference for me.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Re: DeQuervain’s disease

[ Edited ]

I had DeQuervain's in both wrists.  The second a few years after the first.  Very painful and I never knew when something would just fall out of my hands to the point where my secretary would go with me to the cafeteria at work to carry my Diet Coke back to my office.  Cortisone shots did not work for me.  I had surgery on both wrists (again several years apart.)  Fabulous surgery in that  it really works and I have never had a problem with either wrist since.  My brother in law had the same situation I did and the same results from the surgery.  My sister had DeQuervains after the birtrh of her son and hers resolved on its own.