Contributor
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes today. I am a little overwhelmed-especially as to what I can and can’t eat. Does anyone have any advice for me?
Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry for your diagnosis. I am not type 2 I'm type 1 for  24 years.
My advice is get daily exercise and look at the carb count on foods. The less carbs the better. Keto diets are great for Type 2. They should schedule you to see a dietician but there are many many books you can read to help you immediately. 

Respected Contributor

@Munchkincat 

Stay calm, and as you posed the question here - research it online.

Some excellent sources are with:

MayoClinic.Org

They have no less than 100 pages of information regarding eating / eating plans recipes, tips etc.

Try to look for reputible sources.

www.hopkinsmedicine.org (Johns Hopkins Medicine)

Also ClevelandClinic.org - is another very decent source.

There are tons of books on the subject, relax and read.

You will be okay, follow your physician and read to be your best advocate.

Honored Contributor

@Munchkincat Didn't your PCP or medical provider give you any info at all??  

When I was diagnosed 25 years ago I went to insurance-covered nutrition classes and got a ton of good assistance.  

You need to have your doctor refer you to a diabetic nutritionist. There is also lots of good informtion online.

I am amazed that you have no information as to food, exercise and self-care!!!

I

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Munchkincat Didn't your PCP or medical provider give you any info at all??  

When I was diagnosed 25 years ago I went to insurance-covered nutrition classes and got a ton of good assistance.  

You need to have your doctor refer you to a diabetic nutritionist. There is also lots of good informtion online.

I am amazed that you have no information as to food, exercise and self-care!!!

I

I assume they did give her some info. It's always nice to ask others for advice as well. I'm sure she is overwhelmed. 

Honored Contributor

If you are overweight, losing some pounds may help

In a few cases, friends recently diagnosed found they were only making insulin for someone of a moderate weight.    After losing weight, they had a much better ability to manage.

Honored Contributor

@Munchkincat,

I urge you to focus on eating healthy, watch portion sizes, and understand that some foods you like a lot have to become special treats.   

My husband has been diabetic more than 20 years.  It's been 10 years since I had a fasting blood glucose level of 120 that put me in the diabetic club.   I do not run high blood glucose levels.  Our outlook has always been that we are real people, living a real life, eating real food.   

In this house, no food is labeled off limits; we eat chips, cakes, cookies, pie, etc, but they are special treats, and are not found in this house every day.  

Relax.

Honored Contributor

It's a mind numbing diagnosis, with a great deal of conflicting info regarding diet.  I would cut out as much carb as you can manage, including foods like potatoes and breads.  

You might look up Dr Eric Westman's "whitecoat" video on YouTube.  He also has a new book with "carb confusion" in the title.  I imagine it's available online from the library.

Respected Contributor

I was diagnosed in November.  I started excercsing regularly and went on weight watchers.  That and the medications I am on have brought my A1C and fasting blood sugars to normal levels. 

Respected Contributor

When I found out I was borderline Type 2, I went on a mission to control my insulin resistance. I ditched high glycemic carbs. Things such as sugar laden foods and snacks like some fruit, fruit juices, flavored coffee creamers, cereals, crackers and everything white -- bread, rice and potatoes. I focused on more plant based meals, with healthy portions of lean meat protein. 

I also began following my blood sugars, with daily food journaling to see just how some foods I thought might be okay affected my blood sugars. Sometimes they weren't a good choice for me. Journaling intake can be eye opening. After awhile it's no longer necessary, as it sets in your mind automatically how to manage your plate, portion control and snacks.

Slowly, over the course of a year, I lost 24 pounds, bringing me to my ideal weight. My A1C began to stabilize and was finally in normal range. I avoided having to go on medication. This doesn't mean the problem is gone. If I choose to start eating recklessly again, or gain my weight back, it will rear it's ugly head again.

But it is something that can be controlled with a little work. And, while it seems overwhelming at first, you will be surprised at how quickly you adapt to your new healthy lifestyle. And, after you get good control, you can enjoy a treat from time to time without too much fluctuation in your sugars as long as you can be careful not to fall off the wagon. It's all about balance. 

Best of luck to you.  You've got this, you can do it.