Honored Contributor
Speaking as one that has personally had 13 Colonoscopies along with 5 double balloon Enteroscopies! Nobody is going to starve to death in 48 hours. The longer solid foods have to clear the system, the better. A person can drink many tasty and nutrient dense liquids that need very little, if any processing to evacuate. One thing to be careful of is if you go with these types of liquids make sure none of them are anywhere close to RED in color. Why not make this procedure the systempossible? Hope all goes well for you.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My hubs just got paperwork today for his upcoming one. Hope all's well for him, he has to have this done, doc's orders.

Honored Contributor
Because the VA requires a 48 hour prep, I have been through this with my husband twice. I will say that it is VERY difficult for an insulin dependent diabetic to prep for 2 days. My husband was not allowed to eat any food, no dairy, and nothing red. Essentially he survives on coffee with sugar, Gatorade, sweet tea, jello, beef and chicken broth, Sprite, Gingerale, and Popsicles for two days. I have had 3 colonoscopies in 10 years, due to being at high risk for colon cancer. My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 54; had successful colon resection, and lived 20 years before the cancer returned. My brothers and I are very diligent with our screenings. Sending very best wishes to you with your screening.
Respected Contributor

OP, just follow the dr. orders, the less you eat a couple days before, the easier the clean-out will go. I have these every three years and the last couple have been stricter. I was told no raw veggies, no salads, no nuts, etc. for a week before test. It's not a hardship.

Respected Contributor
On 3/20/2015 circles said:

I have never had the test....refused...don't want to go through all that prep....but I do believe the red foods would confuse the test with blood....

Good Luck....

If you think the prep is bad, don't ever get colon cancer, it'll really ruin your day.

Honored Contributor

I never cease to be amazed that people come here to discuss their medical problems up to and including bowel movements. Puleez. If you consider your doctor and his office inadequate to discuss this procedure, please do not let him/her perform it because they are definitely not qualified if they don't know more than a fashion forum.

About flex sig, done in lieu of colonoscopy. Those who say it serves no purposes are certainly not qualified to make that blanket statement and do not know why this procedure is sometimes done. If you don't have as doctor or one not qualified to address this, go to WebMD or some qualified website.

Super Contributor

I have had the test--but what I want to say is that after the test my daughter said she would treat me to breakfast--so we went to a diner--all I can say is after that I did not feel well--the next time I have that test I will not go to a diner--I don't know what happened for me to not feel well--maybe too much food all at once?--lesson learned on my part!!

Super Contributor
Wow.
Honored Contributor

You should be given post colonoscopy prcoedure instructions including dietary instruction. If not, don't use that doctor again.

Honored Contributor

This is a health & fitness forum...that's is why people come on here to ""discuss"" health related concerns. Nobody on here is ""claiming"" to be a MD. As far as sigmoidoscopy vs. colonoscopy...colonoscopy would be my preference as you get to scope the whole colon instead of just part of it. Last time I checked everyone has BM's. so what? What's the big deal? Like I said....it's a health forum.