Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can you get the flu again?

YES you can get the flu (Influenza Viruses) again!

Influenza 'A' virures can be broken down into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus: the hemagglutinin (H) and the neuraminidase (N). Influenza A were in two DIFFERENT strains. CURRENT subtypes found in people are -H1N1- and influenza A (H3N2).

In September of last year was the H1N1 and the doctors pushed that particular one at that time, which my husband received. I did not.

Now, from December's last study, there is another virus up and running that has very little to prevent symptoms from the H1N1.

If I explained every detail, then I would not have time on ->this screen-< to identify each NEWer one. I hope that this explains just a small part in what you were wondering.

_Naes

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/1/2015 3star said: I am suffering through one of the worst flu bouts I've ever experienced ( been to the ER twice), if you are not careful and go out I crowded areas before you are fully recovered, you c. Get a relapse and it will be worse the second time around. My local ER's waiting room is overcrowded with flue patients. The doctor's told me and my family, 10 days for it to leave your system, if you a not reinfected by a family member living in your home. Oh yes, I did get the flu shot. I WANT MY MONEY BACK,!!!!

1. Each year in developing the flu vaccine, the virologists and researchers are making an "educated guess" as to which virus(es) MAY surface and cause problems in any given year.

2. They are not always right and are the first to admit it.

3. Though you feel cheated this year, remember to get your flu shot next year, because it may very well be spot on!

4. And, next year you may not get the flu at all because you already have antibodies to that flu from having had it some years ago.

5. Hope you feel better soon! God Bless.

These are educated guesses based on what was the last case in Asia in the preceding year.

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 12/31/2014 namealreadytaken said:

The flu shot did nothing for you. It was a totally different bear than the one that is raging throughout the country. I did test positive for it, once in late November and again near Christmas (I think Dec 20). I don't know if there was a problem with the methodology or that I still had same flu but I should not have been contagious after 5 days, which meant I should not be carrying. Not sure what happened. I did have bronchitis the first time with the first positive nasal swabs and had bilobar pneumonia the second time with the positive nasal swabs and CXR and even on both followup CXRs, I still have some infiltrates. Both were same type flu. Who knows? CDC missed so bad on this one, it makes one wonder if it was by intent.

It takes some audacity to infer that the dedicated medical professionals who work for the government agency charged with trying to prevent disease, would deliberately do something to cause it. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This insinuates you never worked for either the government or a medical facility which is run by the government.

Honored Contributor

On 1/1/2015 Kachina624 said:
On 12/31/2014 namealreadytaken said:

The flu shot did nothing for you. It was a totally different bear than the one that is raging throughout the country. I did test positive for it, once in late November and again near Christmas (I think Dec 20). I don't know if there was a problem with the methodology or that I still had same flu but I should not have been contagious after 5 days, which meant I should not be carrying. Not sure what happened. I did have bronchitis the first time with the first positive nasal swabs and had bilobar pneumonia the second time with the positive nasal swabs and CXR and even on both followup CXRs, I still have some infiltrates. Both were same type flu. Who knows? CDC missed so bad on this one, it makes one wonder if it was by intent.

It takes some audacity to infer that the dedicated medical professionals who work for the government agency charged with trying to prevent disease, would deliberately do something to cause it. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I agree Kachina. (And I've spent most of my life working in healthcare and part of it in associated national government agencies.) But it's become chic to vilify medical professionals and the related government agencies, so I'm not surprised to see it happen.{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova