Respected Contributor

Re: Bone Broth - Have you jumped on the bone broth wagon?

[ Edited ]

Grandparents and Parents were caners and we always made bone broth, and my husband and I can and we also still make bone broth.

Bone broth is not a new type of item, but there has been a resurgence as of late where people are cooking and canning the broth from bones of various animals.

Bone broth is very healthy and makes an excellent rich liquid stock, which you can use in many recipes and also home can in mason canning glass jars for future pantry storage use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

I don't eat meat, but I remember as a child-my mother wouldn't permit us to 'gnaw' on bones. She said that the bones were the oldest part of the animal, and any kind of toxins or disease that the animal had been exposed to, would collect in the bone.

Maybe she was right?

@Lacey1

Yes, she was correct.

This nutritionfacts.org video was just released talking about 'bone broth.'

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-contamination-bone-broth/

Lead contamination builds up in OUR bones. Memory loss being a side effect.  Seeing my 92-yr mom going through the latter stages of dementia, WHY would anyone take a risk?  

Bone Broth is a liquid w/ no nutritional value.  And it surprises me in Post #3, the source of this danger was cited, but yet they still want to drink in lesser amounts!  It's not a magical elixir....its not a health 'potion'.  It's dangerous. 

"And once it gets in the body, it tends to stay in the body. It builds up in the bones, such that it may take 30 years just to get rid of half; so, the best strategy would be to not get exposed in the first place."

Trusted Contributor

I make bone broth from free-range chicken bones. It's very healing for the gut. I make in the crock pot and do freeze a couple of ball jars to have on hand. It's actually easy to make.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@morganjen wrote:

I make bone broth from free-range chicken bones. It's very healing for the gut. I make in the crock pot and do freeze a couple of ball jars to have on hand. It's actually easy to make.

@morganjen

Be aware that lead contamination studies were done on organic, free-range chickens...lead contamination which can remain in our systems for up to 30 yrs.  Transcript from the video I cited above:

"If it builds up in bones, though, what about boiling bones for broth? We know bones sequester lead, and such lead can then leach from the bones; so, they figured that bone broth made from the bones of farmyard animals might carry a risk of being contaminated with lead. Who eats bone broth? Bone broth consumption is encouraged by many advocates of the paleo diet. Online, you can learn all about the benefits of bone broth, but what they don’t mention is the theoretical risk of lead contamination, or at least it was theoretical, until now. Broth made from chicken bones was found to have markedly high lead concentrations, up to a 10-fold increase in lead. In view of the dangers of lead consumption to the human body, they recommend that doctors and nutritionists take the risk of lead contamination into consideration when advising patients about bone broth diets.

But what if you only use bones from organic, free-range chickens? The researchers in the literature cited above did only use bones from organic, free-range chickens."

Honored Contributor

When my BFF's  hubby was going thru throat cancer, and having very difficult times swallowing, his onc dr told him that bone broth would be very good for him. It took my friend two whole days to prepare it for him, very time consuming and that was about all the nutrition he could get down. However, now you can use a pressure cooker and cut the time back alot. BTW, her hubby is just fine today   ;-)

Honored Contributor

Not really, but I save my chicken carcass and make soup with it all the time

On the Instant POt  Facebook group it is very popular, apparently the fact that broth gels after cooking is a noveltly to some, many are new to cooking over there

Respected Contributor

@2boxers wrote:

since my stroke eleven years ago my bones have become weaker as i'm not weight bearing as much as i should or getting enough sunshine. i am going to start dr kellann's bone broth diet to try to build up my bones along with more vitamin d and calcium,. i will ask my home health aid to start keeping the organic bones to make broth but for the persent i have ordered some prepackaged beef bone broth from Thrive market. I do not want to take any other medication for it.

You may want to add some Vitamin K-2  MK-7 to your supplements.  It directs the calcium to your bones and teeth, not your veins.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/16/vitamin-k2.aspx