Respected Contributor

Blood pressure meds - what time do you take yours - morning or evening?

I used to take mine in morning, but have started taking it at night because it calms my heart and I sleep better - is there a recommended time to take it?

Respected Contributor

Re: Blood pressure meds - what time do you take yours - morning or evening?

Hi hoosieroriginal!

My "Internal Medicine" doctor, told me to take mine in the A.M..  

It is very important however, to be consistant...Meaning take it at the "Same Time" each day.  For it to work properly.  

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I used to take mine in morning, but have started taking it at night because it calms my heart and I sleep better - is there a recommended time to take it?

https://www.verywell.com/the-best-time-of-day-to-take-blood-pressure-medications-1764094

Respected Contributor

I take mine in the evening for the same reasons as the OP.  My pressure isn't a major issue, but seems to go up at night. So the solution was to take it at night.

Honored Contributor

I've been on at least one HBP prescription med. since I was 19 (currently three), and take mine at bedtime since most strokes occur in the morning.

It may not increase my chance, but my dad had a massive one at age 47 and passed from its complications at age 49.

The consistency in taking it and the strength of the dose are what's most important.

Trusted Contributor

I'm on 2 bp medications.  One is an extended release and doctor told me to take that before bed.  The other one I could also take at night but it tends to give me nightmares so I take that one in the morning.  

Honored Contributor

Late in the evening for me as well, I take a beta blocker for heart palps which tend to get worse as I am trying ot rest and relax.

Esteemed Contributor

In the morning and night--half of a pill

Honored Contributor

I'm sure the actual medication makes a difference when it comes to the timing of when to take it.  I'm taking a diuretic for my HBP and it's working great.  I take it first thing in the morning and it keeps me "busy" until right around noon or so, then tapers off.  If I took it at bedtime, I might as well not even go to bed because I'd be up all night!

Honored Contributor

First thing in the morning.